Voiceless

I grew up in a society where you need to listen to the elders because they know more about life than you did. I grew up believing that talking back to older people makes you disrespectful. I grew up not meddling to older people's business because I am still young and doesn't need to be involved in older people's lives. I grew up in world that says, "Silence means yes.." and respect is the most vital tool for success and happiness. I grew up following ang believing what the elders said. Then, I grew up.

The school taught me a lot. They taught me that I am also a member of the society where I live in. They taught me that every opinion matters and if you won't speak up now, you might not have a chance to speak up for yourself. They taught me to work on the things that matter. They taught me to fight for my rights as an individual, as a member of the society. They taught me to dream and dream big then encourage me to pursue it. They taught me to give my best in everything and not let regrets or doubts eat me up. And then, I grew up.

I grew up learning that each and everyone matters. Each member of the society matters. And their opinion matters. Yet being young in a society where noone believes in you makes you feel so small and undesirable.
Speaking up makes you disrespectful. Presenting yourself makes you arrogant. Fighting for your rights makes you foolish. The elders expect you to respect them. They want you to acknowledge their authority and that their opinions matter the most. Maybe they would say, "I've been there and I've done that." or "You're still young, that's why you are like that". and many other things. If you present your ideas of change, or even deviate their norms, they would say, "that's because you're still young. or name you as idealistic that don't know a thing about the real world.

The elders would say, they care for you and they are concerned about you. But why do I feel like these concerns and adivices are only a disguised insult that makes sure to hinder you in achieving success. Why do I feel like their words of guidance and care are slaps of underestimation and distrust? Why do I feel like their worlds of congratulations and encouragement are only a manner of saying, "That's where you should be. That where you will ever be."?

In the society where we live in, having a voice that noone listens make you a mute forever. Unwanted opinions, uninterested audience, unappreciated works, unsolicited words, and unhealthy mindset are a deadly combination.

As a line from a movie says, "When your friend fails, you feel bad. When your friend tops, you feel worse." That always happens in the real world. Then, that should make you think, "Are they really your friends? Are they really guiding you or are they just making sure that you won't be better than them. Are their advices real or not?

In the adult world, those things are difficult to determine. Especially when you are young and new. They want you to do good but never want you to be better than them.

Becoming an adult at a young age is very confusing. When your upbringing and your learning are somehow related yet contradicts in many ways, what should you do then?
Would you be quiet and take it all in or would you fight for your rights and and start where it should all begin? Would you remain respectful and voiceless or would you try to speak up and be brave? At the end of the day, your decision, your choice, your words will make you who you will be.