Reformation

"Are you sure this is where you were when it happened?"

"Of course I am."

"I just don't want anything to go wrong. You've clearly been planning this for a while."

"I know, but this is always where it happens, I've seen it myself. Just act casual."

These hushed voices belonged to Jorgie and Lily, who were currently trying to look as inconspicuous as they could while leaning against the wall of the canteen; many students were rushing through the doors at the promise of dinner, but the two girls had their eyes peeled for one in particular.

"Alright." Lily smiled teasingly at her girlfriend. "I just think there are lots of things that can go wrong, that's all. Is the professor in range?"

"Yep." Jorgie nodded at a tall woman with round glasses, who was patrolling the only exit of the clearing apart from the road to the apartment buildings, just a few metres away from them.

"And the blind spot?" Lily asked, furtively glancing at the security cameras.

"From this corner to the window." Jorgie gestured to said area, showing that they were standing right in it.

"Wow, you've actually thought about this." Lily smiled again. "Unusual. You normally rush into things without a plan."

"Well, this is important." Jorgie's face hardened. In the week since the mind swap, her and Neo hadn't been arguing, but there had been an air of awkwardness around their interactions. She wanted to see the real him again, the one she joked with in the corridors while looking for Luna; hopefully, by doing something nice for him, the tension in their friends group would disappear entirely. "Look, here they come."

When Lily turned, she couldn't help but feel a burst of hatred; the two boys that force Neo to do their coursework had just entered the clearing. They appeared to be chatting innocently, but Lily noticed how they hung around, sneaking furtive glances at the apartment road.

"So what happens now?" She questioned, only having been informed of this plan a couple hours ago. Of course, she'd known Jorgie was planning something, but whenever she asked, she was reassured that she'd be told in time.

"Well, Neo's just had a free period." Jorgie answered, nodding towards the apartments. "Now's about the time he comes down for dinner, which is when those two will try to steal him."

"Alright." Lily tried to even out her breathing while she closed her eyes for a second.

"Trying to relax?" Jorgie asked, and after seeing her girlfriend nod, she smiled slightly. "Good idea. Anger can be a little unpredictable, and we really need this to work."

"And the award for most reassuring girlfriend goes to you." Lily grinned slightly, before sighing. "I just wish I could control these powers so I could use them whenever."

"Don't worry, I'm sure it'll happen soon." Jorgie squeezed her girlfriend's shoulder reassuringly, before quickly catching some movement in her peripheral vision; Neo was walking down the apartment road towards them, apparently off in his own world as he was staring at the floor. Her head whipping towards his tormentors, Jorgie saw them notice him and slowly start ambling in his direction; she immediately started swatting at her girlfriend's shoulder.

"I know, I know, I see them." Lily rolled her eyes in amusement.

"Well, get ready." Jorgie turned away to look more unnoticeable. "This has got to happen fast. And remember, look casual."

Lily nodded, watching the boys get closer and closer to Neo, and hoping against hope that Jorgie's plan would work as intended.

Neo had just been on his way to dinner; currently, he was thinking longingly about the plate of fish and chips he'd be sure to devour in a second when he reached the table. In fact, just when he was wondering what the group's topic of conversation would be today, a firm hand had closed like a vice around his arm and began leading him away from the doors.