Chapter Two

I sat on my dark grey couch looking at the picture in my hand.

I held my coffee mug from the table, not tearing my gaze away from the old image.

'Adam Blake.'

I said while humming. The girl in the picture holds a sand shovel in her hand and laughed hysterically at some joke the young boy said. While building a sandcastle, the boy has his back turned to the camera, but we can see his head tilting to his left side to look down at the little girl.

This picture was one of the few that I grabbed from home.

So that's it? My childhood friend is now my boss? I thought while placing the picture next to me.

I lifted the cup of coffee to my lips and took a long sip.

I tilted my head to the left and looked at my phone while biting my bottom lip. Should I call him? I thought, feeling my heart hammer in my chest.

I clicked my tongue in disappointment.

When was it hard to grab a phone and call someone, Sophia?

It's now or never, I thought.

I placed the cup on the side table and picked up my phone, typing his number on the dialer quickly.

I placed the phone to my ear, still biting down my bottom lip.

Come on, pick up.

The call ended. I sadly sighed. I put back the phone where it was.

And I looked at it, for what felt like an hour. I picked up the coffee mug again. It was already cold, so I decided to brew a new cup.

I sighed, making my way to the kitchen, I grabbed the pack of coffee beans with my hand. I started dropping the beans slowly in my brewer.

I was lost in my thoughts until I felt the bag's weight getting lighter.

"Oh shit!"

The coffee beans were floating in the cold water. When I was about to clean my mess up, the phone rang, making me jump and drop the water and coffee beans on the ground.

I ran to my phone picking it up only for my excitement to come crashing down on me.

I sighed sadly and answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hello, lazy girl!" Violet shouted in my ear.

"What's up?" I said disappointed.

"I am taking you to the mall."

My phone begins ringing in my ear.

"Violet Hold on for a second." I put Violet's call on hold and answered the second phone call.

"Grayson? I was calling you. The fuck, where you?" I yelled, clearly pissed.

"Miss Phillips! Happy to hear from you," he said with a neutral voice.

"Miss Phillips? Really Grayson what the hell is wrong with you?"

"Look, I don't have time, your father told me to tell you that you should move on with the plan. 'You should dress to impress', he calls that the first move."

I rolled my eyes. "Why doesn't he tell me that?"

"He's a busy man."

"Grayson! Stop beating around the bush."

"He wants you to make him fall in love with you."

"Oh! You're fine with that?" I said while holding back a smirk.