25 | 'i used to imitate my sister all the time. i got really good at it.'

━━━━━━━━━━━━

        JUST FRIENDS.

        FIFTEEN MINUTES TO his destination was what Yuta devoted to mental persuasion. A not-so-cloak-and-dagger quest if he had ever seen one, because he wasn't certain who he tried to hide from. On the bright side, it wasn't Jisoo—he needed a break from the suffocation. Still she couldn't give half a shit about him, but he wasn't ready to hang up his boots on her. Yet. She just needs time, he decided.

        His mind within limits of setting full focus on the asphalt stretch ahead of him, Yuta considered if it was his safest option to keep on with the journey. The idea of driving now felt jeopardous to quite a number of things and his safety wasn't one of them. Communal travel was perfect fallback, but then it was his only fallback, except he really did miss sitting behind a steering wheel. The wind puffing through his untrimmed hair, the sound of engine as tires laid rubber on empty asphalt—the kind of music he wanted to accommodate tonight. No, he wasn't a die-hard racer nor did he possess a hankering to become one, but sometimes it felt that way.

        The basic fact was Yuta would die a footballer—well-stricken in football age. Not right in the middle of gameplay with a heart failure. While those were considered rarities in the profession, still...

        Back to the matter at hand: reaching Changwon Football Stadium in one piece. To begin with, it wasnt supposed to be such a long trip, and now he understood he might've miscalculated because the last time he visited there, he rode shotgun. There also stood the account that, for someone with more than enough privileges for a student—freedom inclusive—he still stayed much too cooped up in the four walls of CA to recall what freedom felt like. Funny how the students were permitted an ample amount of it, yet he didn't want to abuse it.

        But.

        She would understand, right?

        Just friends. He thought as a reminder for the umpteenth time, caricaturing—for the fun of it—the mental picture of what Doyoung giving him the head shake and a thumb down would look like. However Yuta thought it about time to make things right.

        Enough with the games—the unending chase. Much preferably, because the likelihood of reaching that checkpoint was low for now, if he continued with the chase then he had to have his sights set on just one. A single trophy.

        After all, you don't win two major cups in the same match, he thought. Once he'd had enough of nature's music and his engine's, Yuta slapped his hand down on his radio. Trot tunes filled his Mercedes the same time he wound the glass up. He turned on the AC, sniffing that initial dusty air he heard was harmful. All he knew, he liked it.

        Attending a live match would be his exemplary idea of the perfect date, if only Jisoo was game for that kind of scene. Up till today he was left to wonder if it could ever come to that. They start seeing each other, stuff would get intimate, precisely on a personal level, flaws would be accepted and adapting to unfavourable interests of the significant other would come to play. Compromise.

        It was pulchritudinous to imagine nevertheless.

        With nine extra minutes he maneuvered Gyeongnam's highways until he could spot the eye-catching edifice from a mile away, the colours of both clubs playing tonight on the backs of many spectators. The dwellers around these parts seemed to take their home team quite seriously. It made him think of his home team. Yuta was fan to neither however, he fancied a good match where he found one. For the love of the game after all. Just a friendly yet there was no denying the unspoken rivalry between home and away.