24 | 'okay, who's your daddy?'

━━━━━━━━━━━━

        "JAY?"

        "HM?"

        "BEING A GUY...?"

        "Mm-hm?"

        "It sucks." She shifted on the bleacher to face him. "I don't like it and coach Taekwoon? Hojung ... Fountainview? They can suck it."

        Jaehyun laughed softly; definitely with satisfaction. "So, let me get one thing straight. All it took was a double date, a faux concupiscent best friend claiming to be attracted to you, a little pre-foreplay feat Yuta and Jisoo, and a tiny green monster to get you to see that?" Eun Ra huffed in retort. "Huh. If I knew it'd be that easy I might've tried it a lot sooner."

        "Not helping."

        "Dont be like that. Lighten up that sensitive ass, would you? Picking on you gives me that egg-on I need to proffer some useful shit, because like it or not, you're one of the most uphill stripes known to man. Those far-out kinds that don't know when to take a break."

        She grinned. "Well, I aim to please. But..."

        "But?"

        "You're right."

        "You sound surprised."

        "I do like Yuta. Maybe a little over the like bar? I don't know, but yeah, I'm 'in like' with him, I guess. How does that work?"

        He had no idea.

        Jaehyun shook his head. If he had been in the mood for truth bluffs, he might have told her he wasn't in the right state of mind to withstand her bellyaches. But she needed advice, honest-to-goodness advice he was the only soul capable of giving. Not because he was the also the only living thing within a fifty-mile reach au courant with her little secret, instead because he could—not to brag—and these days it seemed Eun Ra had accustomed herself to believing he did have it in the bag. Jaehyun wasn't so sure if it was because she was just desperate, but with the qualms that someone else or everyone all at once could find out eventually rising with her each waking day, it was up to him to keep her mind on track. Though he assumed no one could be that torpid (he counted himself an exception since he wasn't just anyone, he was Jung Jaehyun: incomparable to no one), yet he pondered over why he suddenly housed a perceivedness that she headed down that path.

        If only she was less adamant.

        "Eun Ra, it would never work. Get it into that thick skull o' yours." He had been satisfied with the fall of her expression, even if he wished he hadn't. Why lie when there was the truth?—idle, waiting, undreaded. "As long as you're seemingly content with having a twisted rendition of the best of both worlds, a happy-ending with Yuta is as promising as a net full of sand."

        "Honestly, I don't know where you grasped the idea"—she had no idea where his wordings came from either—"that I'm content—seemingly content, you say—with any of this," Eun Ra said. "I miss being a girl more than anything."

        "Then what's stopping you?"

        Mumness. She couldn't speak.

        "Tactless revenge is what. And sometimes, I don't know, it feels like you're chasing after something you were never really interested in, or you lost your zest along the way. Now you just wish to keep busy. And if I didn't know any better, I would say you're trying to prove something to your folks."