Delinquent - Chapter 19

After we ate breakfast together Noah took Chelsea and I back to my house. We made plans to do the same thing that night that we did the previous night. It was fun, but I didn’t want to end up staying over his house again. When we pulled up into my driveway, Paul’s car was there. What was Paul doing here when I wasn’t here? Many reasons went through my mind when I realized that Paul might not be over there for me. Caleb was his friend as well. Chelsea and I thanked Noah as we got out the car. He pulled off quickly after that. I walked into the house and into the living room, which is where the boys probably were. Just as I thought, they were both on the couch playing video games.

“Hey guys.” I said walking in the room and sitting on the center piece. Chelsea came in and sat on my lap.

“You guys both look like hell” Caleb said glancing at us for a moment.

“Yeah, where were you?” Paul asked looking at me.

“Partying!” Chelsea and I said in unison. “We’re going to another one tonight, you guys want to come?” Chelsea continued.

“Yeah, I’m up.” Paul said right away. Caleb agreed a moment later. This was going to be fun! I couldn’t wait. “But anyway Cassidy,” Paul concentrated on me. “Chase thinks you’re ignoring him.”

“What? No I’m not.”

“You should probably call him.”

“You want her to call him? But—“

“Shut up.” Paul cut Chelsea off. I looked at the two, a little confused but shrugged. I guess they had their own little secret code.

“Hey, I’m going to go call Chase.” I told Chelsea. She got off my lap and sat down next to me while I got up to go get my phone.

I walked up the stairs to my room and shut the door. I collapsed on my bed immediately and put my face into my pillow. It felt good to be home and in my own bed. I hadn’t been away for long but, when someone had a night like I just had, I could understand why they want to be home. I eventually pushed my face out of the pillow and reached over to the small table next to my bed and grabbed my phone. I hit the power button to make it turn on, but it wouldn’t. Damn, that meant it was dead. I sighed and reached onto the floor for my charger. I found it and plugged my phone in. I waited for it to turn on, and when it did, ten missed calls popped onto the screen. Ten calls since last night? Wow. I checked the call log and there were four from Paul, three from Chase and three from Caleb. I didn’t feel like checking any voice mails, so I hit the call back button for Chase right away. I put the phone to my ear and put half of my face back into the pillow.

“Hey.” Chase answered.

“Hi.” I said back. “Paul said you thought I was ignoring you. I called you to tell you that I’m not ignoring you, okay?”

“Oh, wow, is that all?” he asked.

“What else is there?” I asked him.

“How about a ‘Hi, how are you?’”

“I had a rough night Chase…I’m sorry if I’m not in the mood to have a conversation over the phone with you.”

“Oh…well, do you want to meet me at Coldstone? We could have some ice cream…and talk over some things.” I was going to tell him no, but then I changed my mind. Meeting him at Coldstone would be a perfect opportunity to clear things up with him. I still liked him, but I didn’t feel the same anymore.

“Yeah, I’ll meet you there.”

“You will?” he sounded surprised. I nodded, but then I realized that he couldn’t see me.