Delinquent - Chapter 5

I stared down blankly at the guy that I had beat with the bat. It didn't look like I'd beat him up too badly, but his nose was bleeding and it looked like it was broken. I dropped the bat, and it made a clinging noise on the floor. I rolled off him and sat on the floor leveling myself. I couldn't believe that I just beat up two men by myself. It was then that I remembered Chase and I looked over to the door where I left him. Chris was next to him but I wasn't concerned about him. I raced over there, looking down at Chase. He wasn't moving, but I could see the rising and falling of his chest. I dropped beside him and tried to wake him, but he wasn't moving. I was trying not to look at his face, but I eventually did. The once evenly toned adorable face of Chases was now black and blue all over. He had bruises on his face and on his body, and blood was coming from his nose and mouth. I quickly turned him on his side, remembering that if he was bleeding a lot from his mouth he could choke and die. I saw even more bruises when I turned him over and I couldn't stop the tears from falling. I had to get him to the hospital. I tried to estimate how heavy he was--He was pretty heavy, he'd fallen on me, and if it wasn't for the other two who dragged him off of me, I wouldn't have been able to get him off me. I had to try though. I stood and positioned my hands under his arms and pulled up with all my strength. I could do that, but it was quite a walk back to his and I didn't want to drag him because he would probably get more bruising. I didn't know what to do. Should I call Paul? No. I couldn't risk telling him. I knew the one person I could call.

I stood near the sidewalk, waiting anxiously. It was freezing outside. Curse the stupid October air. I was about to take out my phone when I saw a car pull up and Chelsea got out. She was dressed in SpongeBob pajama bottoms and a wife-beater shirt. I knew she was cold too. She ran towards me and I took off. I didn't wait for her to reach me, I was too worried. I heard her feet crunching against the leaves so I knew she was behind me. We made it back to the cabin within five minutes or so, I wasn't counting. We walked in the door and everyone was still the way I had left them.

"Oh my god." Chelsea said looking around. She evaluated the other two first and then came back over to help me with Chase. "Are his keys in his pocket?" she didn't look like she wanted to be around me right now. I understood her completely. Not only had I lead Chase here to get him beat up, but I knocked out her boyfriend as well as the other boy. I shrugged. "Check." I did as she said, and when I found the keys I stuffed them in my pocket.

"I'll get the arms and you get the feet," I told her. She positioned herself at his feet and we both lifted. "We'll need to come back after we put him in the car--"

"Are you kidding me? He needs the hospital now Cassidy! I warned you about this kind of thing, but you didn't want to listen. And honestly, I don't want to hear it, so please just don't talk to me." I was a little shocked by what she said, but then again I should have been expecting that from her. She flipped off the light switch as we walked out and closed the door. Silence was the only thing that followed on our way back to the cars. It took us awhile longer because we were carrying Chase, but when I finally saw the two cars I was relieved. We laid him down while I got the keys from my pocket and unlocked the car. The Trailblazer responded instantly, and I opened the back door to the second row. We lifted him once again, and Chelsea got in the car so we could put him in all the way.

"Can you slide down here so his head won't be flat?" I asked her breaking the silence that was over 30 minutes long. She didn't answer but she slid down and supported his head. I closed the door gently and walked to the driver's side. I hopped into the seat and adjusted it to my height and set the mirrors. After that I started the engine and started moving; slowly at first because I wasn't use to his car, but it didn't take me long to get use to it.

I ignored the speed limit nearly the whole way to the hospital. I pulled up at the emergency entrance and two people dressed in teal blue scrubs, eyeing our vehicle curiously. Was I supposed to call first? I turned off the car and got out, almost running one of them over. "Someone's been hurt!" I said loudly. One of them ran inside, momentarily returning with a stretcher. I opened the back door reveling Chelsea and Chase. The two men quickly moved Chase and rushed him inside. I was going to follow the two when a third one came out and asked me to move the car and for both Chelsea and I to come inside. I scowled at him but did as he said. Chelsea took me by surprise when she grabbed me before we were approaching the door.