Delinquent - Chapter 2

I always wished that I could skip school, but sitting downtown in the Police Department was not what I pictured doing instead of being there. Luckily for me, that isn't what I had to do. When the police arrived at our house not too long after we made the call, they searched our house completely for hours. I stayed up all night, and coffee was my only friend. By the time dinner came around that evening, I was dying for some food. It was only then that I had realized I didn't eat anything all day. Everyone was silent at the dinner table however, which made it extremely awkward. My family always had something to talk about tonight, and now it looked like no one wanted to say anything. My mom had her stressed face on, and I knew something was coming. And Dad would automatically back her up-or the other way around. When I looked at him I also noticed that he looked angry and stressed. "How about those Steelers?" my brother brought up awkwardly. Although no one commented on that, it brought up some conversation.

"Cassidy, where were you last night?" my father asked me. He wasn't looking at me, but he was playing with his food. A move that suggested I was in real trouble. I kept my head down.

"I went for a midnight run." I lied, stuffing food into my mouth so nothing would slip out.

"So you go for what, three, four hour runs at night?" Shit. I didn't answer. Instead I glared at my brother Caleb, who just shrugged when he caught me giving him the evil eye. If he didn't tell them, who did? He shook his dirty-blonde hair so it fell into his face after that. A definite sign that things were about to get ugly.

"Can I be excused?" my father's fist hit the table with such a violent force I jumped into the air.

"Cassidy, where were you? I'm not going to ask you twice."

"I told you, I was running."

"Don't give me that bullshit. It's always the same excuse every time with you."

"But Dad, I have to run. It's just how I-" he slammed his fist again, almost making glasses fall over on the table. My mom dropped her fork and held her head down.

Dad suddenly stood and he grabbed me by my arm. "Get up."

"Dad, I'm eating."

"I said get up." he said with more force, not releasing my arm. I sighed loudly, and did what I was told. He pulled my arm violently as he dragged me into the living area, where the other two couldn't hear. He threw me onto the couch aggressively and I collided with the couch, hurting my leg on the way.

"Ow!"

"Where were you dammit? And don't tell me you were just 'running' because that isn't all of it. Tell me the whole story, because I know it wasn't just 'running'." It was times like this when I remembered how big my dad actually was. He was 6'2" and had a strong build. He wasn't overly buff, but he could be pretty intimidating sometimes. I ran a hand through my hair, trying to think of an excuse. There's no way I could let him know what I was really doing out there. "Cassidy!" he yelled.

"I was meeting a friend at the movies." I said. He blinked and shook his head. He totally didn't buy it at all.

"Jesus Cassidy, where did we go wrong with you? What makes you think its okay to just leave the house whenever you want to?" holy shit. He did buy it. I shrugged.

"It was just a movie Dad. It's not like I was in any danger. I came back before-before someone broke in."

"You could have been seriously hurt." I nodded. He had no idea how close to the truth he was. It was probably the same person who was chasing me last night. They had most likely followed me here. Really smart on my part to lead them to where I lived. I mentally slapped myself. What was wrong with me? I put my whole family in danger now, I'm sure they wouldn't forget where the house is now.

"I'm sorry." He sighed. "You'd better get your act together."

After that, I didn't feel like eating anymore. I threw my half-full plate into the microwave and went up to my room. My cell phone was on the side table next to my bed, and I picked it up. I opened the thread I had with my best friend Paige. 'OMG, you won't believe what happened' I texted her; she texted back before I could get comfortable on the bed. 'You have to tell me' she texted back. I smiled and texted her she'd have to wait for school tomorrow. She then texted back an angry face; I didn't mean to make her wait, but I thought it would be a better idea to tell her in person. I smiled to myself and tucked my phone under my pillow, looking at the blank ceiling. I turned over and I just so happened to look at the spot where the rock landed in my room. I scowled at the fact the cops confiscated it before I had a chance to read the letter. Even my parents weren't allowed to read it yet. The cops hadn't released any new information yet. I just hoped and prayed that the letter hadn't said anything about last night, or else I would be screwed. Most likely it did though. I sighed to myself, excepting that this may be the last night of freedom for me before I would get grounded for a very, very, long time; not that that would keep me inside. I smiled to myself and before I knew it, I was knocked out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Plz Vote & Comment oR Vote/Comment. :)