Chapter 37 - Hearth and Home

By the time the queen's banner was seen on the western horizon, autumn had begun to creep one more into the forests of the world. The journey back from Annúminas - delayed by stops in both the Shire and Edoras - took nearly two months, and thus it seemed that the trees turned red and gold even as Arwen and her party passed beneath them. Bright and clear were the voices of trumpets as they took up the call from the Tower of Ecthelion, heralding the return of the White City's most beloved star.

And so it was that Aragorn and Eldarion were able to greet their loved ones as soon as they passed through the Great Gate into the Court of Tarondor. They were, as always, joined by a large crowd of citizens, all of whom eagerly filled the square for a chance to see the heirs of Elendil in the flesh.

No sooner was Arwen down off her horse than Aragorn came to her. Taking both of her hands in his, Aragorn's face was full of love and joy when he greeted his wife.

"Arwen...too long has the White City felt empty without you. Welcome home, meleth-nin."

"As did the road seem far too quiet and lonesome without you to lead us, meleth e-guilen," said Arwen, her grey eyes shining.

They were surrounded by many though, and so Aragorn and Arwen held their most precious words of reunion back until a later time. Instead, Aragorn bowed and pressed a kiss to Arwen's knuckles before raising her hand high. The folk of Minas Tirith cheered aloud; all loved Arwen, and it was not just the royal household that had keenly felt her absence.

Meanwhile, Eldarion was offering up a hand to help Eruthiawen and Almárëa down from their saddles while Faramir, Legolas, and Elboron dismounted. Almárëa all but dropped straight into Eldarion's arms in her haste to embrace him.

"Eldarion! We missed you so!" she exclaimed. "And there's so much to tell you!"

"And plenty of time in which to tell it all," said Eldarion as he set Almárëa's feet down upon the ground. "Adar and I have ensured that we will have the evening all to ourselves. Tonight we dine as a family, properly and with no interruptions!"

"I hope you don't count the House of Stewards as interruptions," Faramir likewise enjoyed an enthusiastic greeting from the people as he dismounted. He looked somewhat tired, Eldarion thought, but still rosy-cheeked and windswept from the road. "Your mother has invited Elboron and I to stay the night before we make our way home to Ithilien. And Legolas as well."

It was at that moment that Elboron appeared from behind his horse. He like Faramir wore dark colours of mourning, no doubt in tribute to Éomer. Eldarion saw it immediately though; there was something ever-so-slightly different in the way Elboron carried himself. When before he had always been patiently unobtrusive, content to hang back until others called upon him, now it seemed to Eldarion that there was a new confidence to his oldest friend. Then Elboron turned, and Eldarion saw that Eruthiawen stood beside him, one hand tucked in the crook of Elboron's elbow as if it had always been there. Eruthiawen smiled, and Eldarion realized that his sister too was changed. No longer prim and postured, Eruthiawen's already famed beauty seemed even greater for the gentle ease that softened her smile and lightened her steps.

Before either could even speak, Eldarion rushed forward and wrapped an arm around them both in an embrace. Elboron and Eruthiawen enfolded their arms around Eldarion in return, and together the three stood for a moment before breaking apart.

"Eruthiawen...Elboron, I am so very happy for you. Truly. You cannot imagine how long and how dearly we have hoped for this."

"So I have heard," said Eruthiawen dryly. Her eyes sparkled with contentment though.