Chapter Five

"He said winter was almost over!" I said excitedly, "and you know what that means?" They look at me and Susan raises an eyebrow, "No more ice- Wait that can be bad.." I trail off. We walk to the edge and watch the water un- freeze.

"We need to cross now!" Peter says.

"Don't beavers make dams?" Lucy asks.

"I'm not that fast." Mr. Beaver tells her.

"C'mon!" Peter grabs Lucy's hand.

"Wait a minue." Susan says.

"We don't have minute." I tell her.

"I'm just trying to be realistic."

"No, you're trying to be smart, as usual." Peter says. I walk on the side of the mountain and hop down, the others doing the same. Peter steps on the ice and it cracks.

"Wait. Maybe I should go first." Mr. Beaver says.

"Maybe you should." Peter agrees. Mr. Beaver slowly walks on the ice tapping his tail and feet.

"You've been sneaking seconds haven't you?" Mrs. Beaver muses loudly.

"Well, you never know which meal will be your last.." He says, "Especially with your cooking."

Mrs. Beaver ushers us foward. We slowly step onto the ice. I walk slowly and take careful steps. The ice cracks and Lucy squeals. The ice continues to crack around us.

"If mum knew what we were doing." Susan says.

"Mum's not here." Peter snaps. I take a step and the ice cracks. I jump back.

"Oh no!" Lucy shouts. I follow her gaze and see the wolves.

"Run!" I shout. We run across the lake and the wolves block our way. We turn around, only to be faced with the other wolfs. They ice behind us cracks. A wolf pounces on Mr. Beaver and his wife screams.

"Peter!" Lucy shouts and hides behind him. He gets out his sword and holds it out.

"Put that down boy, someone could get hurt." Maulgrim says.

"Don't worry about that, cause it's going to be you!" Mr. Beaver shouts.

"Leave while you can and your brother leaves with you." Maulgrim tells us.

"Stop Peter maybe we should listen to him?!" Susan shouts over the cracking ice.

Maulgrim chuckles, "Smart girl."

"Don't listen to him." I say.

"Kill him now!" Mr. Beaver continues.

"Oh come on, this isn't your war. All my queen wants is for you to take your family and go." Maulgrim takes a step forward.

"Look, just because a man in a red suit hands you a sword, it doesn't make you a hero!" Susan shouts at her brother. Mr. Beaver tries to scream and the wolf bites him around the neck harder.

"Kill him while you have the chance!" He manages to get out. The ice above us starts to crack

"Peter!" Lucy and I shout together.

"Stab the ice!" I add on. He looks at me confused before he understands.

"Hold on to me!" Peter shouts. I grab onto his jacket and he stabs the ice. The ice breaks. I scream as We get pulled under the water and I'm met with the freezing liquid all over me. We come out of the water and I gasp for air. I grab Lucy to stop her from falling off. Mr. and Mrs. Beaver guide our ice boat over to the side so we could get off. Peter helps me off the ice and I wrap my cloak around me for warmth. Peter holds up Lucy's jacket, but no Lucy.

"What have you done?" Susan asks.

"Lucy?" I shout, "Lucy!"

"Has anyone seen my coat?" A voice asks from behind me. I turn around and Lucy walks up to us. I smile at her.

"Don't you worry dear. Your brother's got you well looked after." Mr. Beaver says and Peter wraps her coat around her.

"And I don't think you'll be needing those coats anymore." Mrs. Beaver tells us. I walk over to the blooming tree and smile wide. I pick a flower and continue to follow the others into the woods. The snow starts to disappear and it starts to get warmer. I put my cloak on a log and we begin our journey.

"The White Witch is really your sister?" Peter asks.

"Sadly yes, Jadis is my sister, but we're complete opposites." I tell him.

"Where's your parents?" Susan asks, "You can't be over 13."

"Actually I am 13." I say, "And for my parents I'm not sure. The only thing I remember them by is this locket I've had since I was born." I pull out my locket and show them.

"I'm so sorry." Susan puts her hand on my shoulder.

"Don't worry about it." I tell her, "You guys with stop this war and everything will be alright again."

"But we're not-"

"Yes you will." I sing song, cutting her off, "I know you will."

"Are we almost there?" Lucy asks.

"Actually, we're here." I tell her looking at my compass and smiling.