chapter five

I stare at all the people tearing down trees and yelling

I stare at all the people tearing down trees and yelling. A few of them ride by on horses and we duck, hiding behind the log in front of us, hoping they didn't see us.

"Perhaps this wasn't the best way to come after all." Susan whispers.

"No kidding." I whisper back. When they're completely out of range Peter walks into the woods. We follow him back to where Lucy saw Aslan.

"So, where exactly do you think you saw Aslan?" Peter asks.

"I wish you'd all stop trying to sound like grown-ups." Lucy exclaims. I raise my eyebrow at her, "I don't think I saw him, I did see him."

"I, am a grown-up." Trumpkin tells her. Edmund and I Cover our mouths to hide our giggles.

"It was right over..." She screams when the ground beneath her collapses.

"LUCY!" Susan and I shout. We run over to where she fell and see her standing safely on an edge.

".....here." She finishes and I sigh in relief. She starts climbing down the edge and I'm first to follow her. I take another step and the edge collapses. I gasp and Someone pulls me back before I could fall. I look up and my green eyes meet gorgeous dark brown ones.

"Are you alright?" Edmund asks.

"Yes, I'm fine." I tell him and he lets my arm go.

"Would you two stop flirting and go already?" Susan teases and I feel the heat rise to my cheeks. I quickly move and make it down behind Lucy. We walk across the lake, stepping on the rocks in the water. We walk for a while until we get tired. The sun starts to set and we decided to make a fire and stay here for the night. The only problem is that Susan and Peter are arguing.

"It's not my fault I didn't bring any matches!" Susan shouts at her brother.

"Guys." I try to get their attention. It failed. I roll my eyes and rub two twigs on a rock. sparks start to fly and we soon have a fire going. I look up to find Susan and Peter still arguing. I sigh and throw a small twig at each of them. They stop arguing and turn to me.

"What was that for?" Peter shouts.

"Well, you two wouldn't stop arguing about stupid matches!" I exclaim pointing at the fire. I smirk, "I already had it handled."

The sun disappears from the sky and everyone heads off to sleep. I can't sleep so I look up at the glistening stars.

"Lucy are you awake?" I hear Susan whisper. Maybe not everyone is asleep. She mumbles back a 'mhm' in response.

"Why do you think we didn't see Aslan?" I ask, joining their conversation. I prop myself up on my elbows, the other girls doing the same.

"You believe me?" Lucy asks shocked.

"Well we got across the gorge." Susan tells her.

"I don't know." Lucy says truthfully, "Maybe you didn't really want to."

"You always knew we'd be coming back here, didn't you?" Susan questions her younger sister.

"I hoped so." She tells her.

"I finally just got used to the idea of being in England." Susan sighs, laying back down.

"But you're happy to be here, aren't you?" I ask.

"While it lasts." She mutters. I lay back down next to Edmund and close my eyes, drifting off to sleep.