Chapter 16: Bloodbound Secrets

Start from the beginning

A sob catches my attention, my gaze now on Arthur. Tears stain his cheeks, eyes wide as he peers down at me. The shared gaze intensifies our tears, blurring my vision as I look at him, my brother. Both of us stare at one another, crying for a long moment. We're unsure what to say or do, still processing that we've known each other for weeks now and had no idea.

My limbs freeze as Arthur wraps his arms around me, pulling me into a tight embrace. For a moment, I don't move, still bewildered. I give into the gesture, my fingers embedding into his chainmail as I hug Arthur back. Gaius falls silent, watching from afar with tears as we stay locked in each other's embrace. My mind is still clouded, and I don't know what I think.

Denial creeps back into my mind.

Arthur is the first to pull away from the hug, sniffing back tears. "Who would have thought?" Arthur croaks, hands still tight on my shoulders. His eyes run over me, seeing all the similarities for the first time, my gaze also identifying my features in his. Arthur and I share the same blue eyes and blonde hair. Even our facial structure is almost the same.

Finally, all the anticipation hits me, sending my mind spiralling into intense denial. I can't deny Gaius' story, and I can't oppose the fact Arthur and I look alike, but I don't know if I like what this means. I'm not sure I want what this means. I was willing to live a new life attempt a fresh start, but this is a complete bender. I can't be King Arthur's sister. We come from entirely different worlds. I was raised a druid, Arthur, a prince. I'm a thief and Arthur justice.

Perhaps things were better off left buried.

"T-There is no way to take back all those years...." Arthur starts, now seeming to have come to realisation also. "But you're home now. And I would...very much like to get to know you, Edythe."

Arthur takes my hands in his, taking to this new information faster than me. I continue to stare at Arthur, shocked, still fighting with myself. "Say something", Arthur whispers.

As I look back at him, I see the desperation behind his eyes, the longing to have someone to call family. I can see that he has suffered from the loss of his Father, and Morgana his half-sister...my half-sister. Realising that fact hits me, a new array of emotions rushing over me.

Only two emotions scream louder through the blur, hatred and resentment. Uthur even took in Morgana when everyone thought she was another's daughter. Arthur has had an easier life simply because he wasn't born with magic like me. My blood begins to boil, thinking of the man I had hated my whole life. The man who, even when I didn't know was my father, had destroyed my life countless times.

"I-...I'm still processing," I whisper, my voice seeming out of place, distant. "I have a brother", I state, the words too real coming from my voice.

Arthur lets out a shocked laugh under his breath ", And I have a sister."

I slide off the table. Arthur still holds onto my hands tightly, probably fearing I could disappear at any moment or that we're in a dream. I have questioned it is many times. I become distant again, as if it's too noisy for me to concentrate, now wanting to escape the room. So I can think. So I can try and stop all this anger before I act out.

"Agravaine won't believe it," Arthur exclaims, now a smile replacing the tears on his face. His eyes look down on me as if I'm a gift from the Gods. "This is cause for celebration. All should know that you are home!"

With this said, my panic now sets in, all the negative thoughts turning into a raging fire. I want to get out of this room. I need to think. I need to know what this means for myself. Arthur has already come to terms, and I feel sorry for him. To know I'm one of his last blood relatives must make Arthur wish to give me a life I haven't had. But that's what scares me, and that's what I don't want.