Chapter 17: Fevers

Authors Notes: Next chapter will have a bit of Scruffshipping in it. Just some warning in it.

Paradise

Chapter 17

Fevers

She heard garbled speech. SHe couldn't make out what was being said. All she knew was one of them sounded a bit familiar. When she opened her eyes they were so blurry it looked like she was looking through foggy glass. She felt someone's hands on her neck. She went to grab the cold hands. She missed. Her body felt like it was stuffed with cotton.

She heard the familiar voice again. She turned her head to look in the direction. The face came into view having been a foot away from her now.

"It's alright Jannah. It's a doctor. He's not going to hurt you." He looked up at the man who looked pretty ordinary to her, but his horn rimmed glasses were very big on his face. He wheeled back toward a bag. Wheeled...just who was this man? His legs were gone. How would anyone get around without legs?

She had to kick herself, of course he could get around, he was in a wheelchair. His fingers were back to where they were before on her neck. Then another on her chest. A cold piece of metal against her chest, and he knocked on her sternum for a second and nodded.

"She's got water on her lungs. Did she have a problem with choking on something not to long ago. Things like this can happen from three months to just yesterday." Ronin nodded. He ran his fingers over Jannah's feverish head. She leaned into his cold touch.

"Yeah, now that you mention it. We fell into a river." He told the doctor. The man looked shocked at this development.

"I see...and at least she's alright...and you as well. Do you know if your daughter has any allergies to medications?" He asked pulling out a few bottles of something and started to mesh it all together and poured water into it shaking it up.

"No...not that I know of. She doesn't take a lot of medications so I don't really know." Ronin said. It was the truth. He hadn't ever seen her take anything other than the aspirin at the keep.

"Alright, give her this for the fever, and this is an antibiotic." He gave Ronin the two bottles. "Let her rest for a little while more before you leave the inn. Get plenty of rest, and don't forget to drink lots of water." He patted Jannah's hand as he stood up grabbing his things. Jannah's eyes followed him as far as she could see. Which honestly was probably about three to four feet. Her eyes drifted back up to Ronin as he fished out a spoon from the bowl that looked like it had been full of oatmeal or porridge.

Ronin came back with the spoon that was now cleaned and held the mouth full of medication out to her. Jannah took the mouth full and shuttered. It was the worst medication she ever had in her life. She looked up at Ronin as he chuckled.

"Yeah sorry its pretty horrible, and it doesn't smell that good either, but it'll help." He told her. Jannah nodded laying back down. Her eyes felt heavy again. They closed against her will as she heard Ronin humming along to a song that was drifting up from the marketplace below. Sleep felt so blissful that she didn't even realize that Ronin pulled the blanket around her, picked her up and left the building all together.

What Jannah heard the next she woke up was whispered tones.

"Dareth...Dareth its me. Let me in its fucking cold out here." She heard the door open, but she didn't open her eyes. She buried her face into the blanket. He wasn't joking, It was cold, and it was dark out there.

"Where have you been Ronin!? I had people looking for you. I was so worried." Another mans easy going voice could be heard. She opened her eyes for a moment to see the brown haired man looking at Ronin. His hands were ringing themselves. He was nervous about something. Or maybe just always nervous.

"Yeah sorry, I took a job...and it got messy."

"Oh no Ronin did you bring a dead body into my place?" Ronin's laughter echoed in the entry hall.

"No...she's alive."

"She?" Dareth asked looking down at the young girl who peaked out from inside of the blanket.

"The next Empress of Ninjago."