14: Return of the Trollhunter

Start from the beginning

The armor formed off Jim and Blinky and Toby went over to him. "Well done, Master Jim," Blinky said. "Another victory for our Trollhunter."

"Trollhunters," he said. "Come on, guys. It's a team effort." He looked at the hydrant. "Guys, the fire hydrant,"

Aaarrrgghh put the hydrant back on upside down. "Close enough," Jim said. He and Toby got onto his Vespa. "It's getting close to dawn," Jim said. "You guys better get back to Trollmarket."

He drove off with Toby while Blinky and Aaarrrgghh walked into the direction of Trollmarket.

***

Jim was making an omelet as Barbara walked over to him. "Morning, mom," Jim said.

"Hi," she said, pouring her cup of coffee.

"Made your favorite breakfast," Jim told her.

"Sorry, kiddo. In a rush." She poured herself a bowl of cereal and sat down at the table.

***

"She passed up your famous egg white manchego omelet?" Toby asked Jim on their way to school.

"Yep," Jim said.

"I mean, it's been like, a month and she's still not talking to you about the whole hospital thing?"

"Not a word."

"Brutal. You know a woman is beyond angry when she starts dishing out the silent treatment."

"I don't know how to fix this unless I tell her the truth. But, if I do, they'll send me to the crazy house."

"And then you had to go and make things worse by promising Claire you were gonna save her brother."

"He's trapped in the Darklands. I can't just leave him there, Tobes."

"You know who else is in the Darklands? Gunmar."

"Don't remind me."

They reached school and put their bikes in the bike racks. Toby saw Steve coming. "Dillweed, five o'clock."

"Lake," Steve said. "Jumbo."

"They fixed your tooth!" Jim said. "Now, all they gotta do is fix your face."

"What did you just say?" he asked. "When I get you alone, payback is coming."

***

Jim and Toby went into one of their classes and overheard Mary talking. "I heard he was run out of town by the mob."

"I heard he got a mail-order bride and moved to North Korea," Darcie said.

"As if," Mary said. "Where do you think Mr. Strickler went, Jimmy-Jam?" she asked Jim. "You should know. You were his fave."

"Who, me?" Jim asked. "I don't know. He probably just needed a vacation."

"Do you really think Strickler might come back?" Toby asked.

"After what went down, he'd be a fool to ever show his face again."

Claire sat down in front of them and turned to them. "So, when are we saving my brother?" she asked.

"Claire, we can't just waltz into the Darklands," Jim said.

"We just saved the trolls by keeping Killahead Bridge closed," Toby told her. "Imagine what they'll do to us if they find out we want to open it."

"Guys, this is my brother and Not-Enrique's driving me nuts," Claire said. "You know how many times I have to change him? He knows how to use the toilet. He chooses the diaper."