Chapter 56

Upon arriving at the lobby of Xia Wei's home, Jiang Zhi Zhou and Xia Wei went up the stairs with their pets. On the way, a neighbor on her way downstairs happened upon then and recognized Xia Wei. Surprised, she inquired in passing, "Xia Wei, you're home? Is this your boyfriend?"

  "Um, yes. Ahaha." Xia Wei greeted her, a little embarrassed. Jiang Zhi Zhou sighed a long sigh. One could tell he was a little nervous. Smugly, Xia Wei asked, "What, finally afraid?"

  "Just the feeling that this really is your territory, not mine."

  Her parents' home was on the seventh floor. When they got there, Xia Wei knocked, calling out, "Mom, I'm home."

  Footsteps sounded from the inside, and the door soon opened. Smiling, her mother greeted her, "Welcome back, Wei Wei." Then her eyes fell quite naturally upon Jiang Zhi Zhou. "Is this Mr. Jiang? Well, well, you're even better looking in person."

  Jiang Zhi Zhou politely handed over the set of skin care products he was holding. "Nice to meet you, auntie. I'm Jiang Zhi Zhou, but please just call me Zhi Zhou. I wish you many happy returns."

  "Goodness, how polite! I'm glad you could make it." Xia Wei's mother took his gift quite happily. "Don't just stand at the door, come in."

  She cheerfully led them into the living room, leaving Jiang Zhi Zhou feeling quietly relieved. Xia Wei glanced over. "Just to make you feel better, I'm secretly letting you know that my mom usually dresses very casually at home. What she's wearing today is her favourite outfit, so she's actually just as nervous as you are."

  Jiang Zhi Zhou smiled down at the ground. "Shall we?"

  In Xia Wei's family, the chore of cooking had always fallen to her mother. Today, on her mother's birthday, Xia Wei's father had undertaken the task of creating a feast. Because of that, he alone was busy in the kitchen, while all the rest were chatting in the living room.

  "What on earth happened to this cat? How did he get shaved?"

  Perhaps touched from finally hearing someone speak up for him, Tangerine let out a rare, pathetic meow. Xia Wei replied, "It was so hot outside, we had to shave him a little."

  "I see." Xia Wei's mother nodded, moving on to pet Sunshine. "What a good dog. He's very different now from when you first picked him up."

  Xia Wei's father emerged from the kitchen with the dishes and added, "You're usually such a lazy kid, Xia Wei, how did you manage to raise a dog?"

  Xia Wei: "..."

  That reminded her mother of the matter. "Aren't you both very busy? How do you have the time to take care of both animals?"

  "We've plenty of time," she replied. "We're both our own bosses, so we can go home whenever we want."

  Xia Wei's mother laughed, "With just your little shop, you're calling yourself a big boss? Being the owner of a fancy restaurant is when you can call yourself a boss." She smiled at Jiang Zhi Zhou. "I've heard about your circumstances from Wei Wei. As you can see, we come from very different classes. We've never dreamed of marrying into a rich and powerful family. If we were bullied, we'd have no one to fall back on."

  Hearing her mother's words, Xia Wei's spirit sprung alive! It was coming! Torture from her mother!

  Jiang Zhi Zhou had apparently anticipated this question and was quite calm. "Xia Wei and I have already discussed this issue and reached a consensus, so auntie, please don't worry. In any case, we plan on living alone after marriage. She won't be bullied by my relatives."