Chapter 30 - The Opposite

Start from the beginning

"Isaac, are you alright?"

Turning my body back, I connected our eyes again. "What's with you calling me Isaac so many times?"

I could feel that something was wrong. Nick would only address me like that to greet or in between conversation, not in a repetitive pattern.

But it was him who formed a hard frown on his forehead when I asked that question.

"What should I call you then?"

"My name?" I responded quickly. "My name is Lisa, right?"

His mouth hanged opened slightly, staring at me with the greatest bafflement carved inside his eyes.

"Isaac, nobody here ever calls you with your first name"

"Why not?"

"Because you don't like it? You warned everyone right from the start"

"What?"

I mouthed that word under my breath, thinking about the Lisa here and how she had been doing in this universe.

She was weird. That was all I could say about her so far.

"Do you want to go to the clinic? I mean, you fell off the chair"

"I'm just hungry, Nick. I don't want to go somewhere else"

"But you are not okay"

"Nick," I sighed, leaning against the door frame. "Can we just go?"

"Go where?"

"Huh, you really don't want to have lunch with me?" I pushed my body off the wall as I was ready to leave, alone.

"Isaac, we never have lunch together before" Nick said, blowing another punch of surprise straight to my chest. "You should go to a clinic because you are acting weird"

I stood straight when I just couldn't stop staring at him, feeling how my palms just started to sweat when I curled my fingers in.

"Nick, you are the one who's acting weird" I was getting impatient to something that I knew was the real deal by the way he looked at me; he wasn't lying, and I still tried to deny it. "Stop it. You are my best friend" My breath went heavier second by second as the weight was pushing my eyeballs at the same time. "Get up from there and let's have lunch"

Baxter pushed the chair behind him, grabbing those case files in his grip before he made his way to where I was standing, still staring at him.

"I'm your best friend?" He asked as his voice lowered when he reached me. "What are you talking about, Isaac? Everyone here knows you hate me. You even told me that straight to my face"

Shaking my head, I denied everything. "No, no no. That doesn't make any sense, Nick! I would never hate you!"

"Isaac, you called me slow loser every day-"

"You are my best friend and I freaking love you!"

His eyes widened when I muted him with a sentence that I was sure surprised him right in the guts. I could tell by his facial expression.

I began to question this universe that another Lisa was living in and how she was as an individual, as a person, who called another person a slow loser. Was she a bully at work? Because never my entire life I would ever say bad stuffs to anyone.

Taking a deep breath in, I was ready to ask him a few questions that were crucial to my stay here just to avoid any confusion later on.

"So, you are not my best friend?"