Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Brooke’s POV

 “So, earlier you said you could play a bit of guitar. Would you like to show me?” I ask Mason, elbowing him in the side. He smirks at me and says.

 “Depends, what will I get?”

 “I won’t kick you in the head right now,” I say, lying down on my couch and putting my foot to his temple.

 He puts a look on his face to seem if he’s concentrating.  I laugh and he does too. He stands up and smiles at me. He reaches out his hand and helps me up. We walk out of my house and he leads me to what I assume is his house. He motions for me to sit on the couch and he runs upstairs. I sit down and look around the room. It’s not that big, but it’s big enough to live in. It has a very homey feel to it. The walls are painted a light blue, like in the main bathroom of my house. The hallways are narrow, but big enough for two people to pass at the same time. The couch is a crème-ish color and there is a TV in the corner. There are a few paintings on the walls and a family photo, above the fire place. On a little side table, beside the couch, there is a photo of Mason, with a young girl and a boy who looks to be about nineteen years old. The boy has dark blonde hair with streaks of blonde in it. The boy has dark brown eyes, which have a tint of green in them. The little girl has piercing blue eyes, which remind me of Mason’s, except his are piercing green. This girl has long blonde hair, which is straight and goes down to her back. They all look naturally happy, not that fake smile you have in most pictures. They are at what looks like a giant lake. There are many rocks in the background and the water looks warm and peaceful.

 “Hey,” I hear Mason say from behind me. I turn around and look at him, he has a guitar in one hand, and it is a light brown acoustic guitar. In the other hand he has a book, which I presume has all the songs he knows how to play. He tosses the book over to me and says. “Find anyone; I can play all in there, except for the last three.”

 I open the book and flip through all the songs. ‘Break Even’? Nah. ‘This Is How I Disappear’? Not today.

 “What about this one?” I say pointing to the third song on the fifth page. He nods and begins to play the chords. I start tapping along to the rhythm on my thighs and then start singing.

“You were my conscience

So solid now you're like water

And we started drowning

Not like we'd sink any further

But I let my heart go

It’s somewhere down at the bottom

But I'll get a new one.

Come back for the hope that you've stolen

I'll stop the whole world

From turning into a monster, and eating us alive

Don't you ever wonder how we'd survive?

Well now that you're gone the world is ours

I'm only human

I've got a skeleton in me

But I'm not the villain

Despite what you're always preaching

They call me a traitor

I'm just collecting your victims

They're getting stronger,

And I hear them calling