Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Brooke’s POV

 As Brandon and I walk into studio A, hand in hand, all the girls look at us confused. Abby looks at us for a minute then looks around the room at everyone. All the moms look just as confused as the girls do. “You guys are dating now, aren’t you?” Abby asks us. I blush and look at my feet.

 “I’ll take that as a yes,” Paige says. I look up and see Christi smirking at me, she leans over to my mom, who looks very shocked, and whispers. “I knew it,”

 “I heard that,” I said and walked over to Abby, still holding Brandon’s hand. “What dance are we doing first?”

 “We’re doing the group first, then Chloe’s solo, then Maddie’s and then the duet”

 I nod and go stand in my spot. “I’ll see you later,” Brandon says and pecks my lips.

 “See you later,”

 All the girls and moms look at me oddly. “What?” I ask them all. They all look at each other and back at me, and then Mackenzie yells.

 “Brookie has a boyfriend!” They all start laughing and I just look at all of them with a blank expression. They all quiet down and then I ask. “Are we starting soon?”

 “Yes, let’s start, moms you can go.” Abby says.

 We work on the group dance for about two hours before Abby says we can all go except Chloe and Maddie, because they need to work on their solos. I walk out of studio A and into the dancers den. When I get there, there isn’t anyone there. I grab my phone and lay on bench. I start scrolling through my phone contacts, looking for someone to text. After a few minutes, I hear someone’s footsteps. I sit up and look around the room, and see no one. I shrug and start scrolling through my phone again. Suddenly, someone grabs me and covers their hand over my mouth. Quickly they turn me around and I see Brandon. He moves his hand and smiles at me.

 “God dammit, Brandon, you gave me a heart attack!” I say and start laughing. He starts laughing too, and I wrap my arms around him and rest the top of my head on his chest. He wraps his arms around me and kisses the top of my head. “Sorry, love,” He says and laughs a bit. I start laughing even harder and look up at him. He smiles back at me. I slowly lean in and our lips touch. After, literally, two seconds, someone walks in. Brandon and I quickly pull away and turn to see who it was. To my utter horror, it was my father. “Brooke,” He says sternly.

 “Uh, hi daddy,” I say, probably looking as terrified as I feel.

 “Um, nice to meet you, Mr. Hyland,” Brandon says sticking out his hand to my dad. My father just stares at him, and Brandon slowly pulls his hand back and runs it through his hair.

 “Um, I should probably go, now, um, see you later, Brooke.” Brandon says.

 “Don’t count on it,” I whisper, just loud enough for Brandon to hear what I was saying. Brandon laughs, a bit, but covers it up with a cough and walks out of the room.

 “Brooke,” my father says again.

 “Yes, daddy,” I ask as nicely as I can mutter it.

 “Don’t, ‘Yes, Daddy’, me. Come on, we’re leaving.”

 “Why?”

 “Go get your sister and mother.” He says, ignoring my question.

 I run around the studio until I find the room Paige is in, she is sitting in studio C, talking to Chloe, Maddie and Nia. “Paige, dad says we have to leave,”

 “Why?”

 “Uh,”

 “He walked in on you and Brandon kissing didn’t he?”

 “Um, yeah,” All the girls start to giggle, except for Paige; she stands up, walks past me and mumbles. “Thanks a lot,” Under her breath. Once she’s past me, I make a face behind her and all the girls start to laugh even harder. We walk out of studio C, and I walk up to the mom’s room.

 “Mom, dad said we have to leave,”

 “Why,” She asks. I just shrug my shoulders, not wanting to say, in front of the moms, that it was because Brandon and I were kissing. My mum stands up, and I follow her out of the building and to the car. When I get in, I quickly put in my ear buds, so I won’t have to listen to my father.  I hum along to ‘The Lost Get Found’ by ‘Britt Nicole’, until I hear my mother say. “Why are we leaving?” Then I trail off and turn my volume down, so I can hear what they are saying without them knowing I can hear. I look out the window as my father looks back at me and says nothing. The rest of the drive home is silent. When we pull into the driveway, I run out of the car and up to my room.  I lock the door and run to my bed, with tears streaming down my face. I lay down on my bed and bring my knees to my chest. I lay there hugging my pillow listening to ‘Safe’ by ‘Britt Nicole’ on replay. The tears continue to slowly stream down my face. I burry my face in my pillow, I notice how it smells just like Brandon, which causes me to cry even more. I look up and see that I have a text message. It’s from Brandon. I grab my phone and open the text.

 Brandon: Hey, where are you

 Brooke: Home

 I hold my phone as if life depended on it. I look over at the floor and see that Brandon had left his sweat shirt on the floor of my bed room. I slowly pick it up and wipe my tears away. I grab my phone off my bed and send Brandon another text.

 Brooke: Meet me at the coffee shop, now

 I walk over to my window, and look out it. I open the window and walk out onto my roof. I walk by Josh’s room and see that he has his friend over. I walk past and see Paige’s room. As I walk past, she walks over to the window and opens it. “What in god’s name are you doing?”

 “Going out, don’t tell mum or dad they can find out by them self’s.” I say and walk past to the side of my house I look back and see Paige still watching me. I turn back around and bend my knees. I take a breath in and jump off the side of my house. When I hit the ground, the impact hurts my ankle a bit, but I ignore it and start walking down my driveway. I look up at the roof and see Paige is still watching me, with her mouth open a bit. I walk down the street and within ten minutes I’m at the coffee shop. I walk in and see Brandon sitting at a table. I walk over to him and say. “Hey,” I push his sweat shirt over to him. “You forgot this at my house,”

 He looks at me funny and starts laughing a bit and says. “You, know, you could have just brought it to dance tomorrow,”

 I keep a straight face and say. “I’m not going,”

 He looks at me funny and says. “Why not, I thought you loved dance?”

 “I do it’s just, I don’t know, I need a break.” He nods and says.

 “Everyone needs a break at some point.”

 “I should probably go now,” I say, pointing over my shoulder to the door.

 “But, you just got here,”

 “Yeah, well, my mum and dad think I’m in my room and I need to get back so I can figure out how to get back up on my roof, Paige will rat me out if I’m gone any longer.”

 “Wait, you jumped off your roof just to come here and give me my sweat shirt?”

 I shrug and turn around. He grabs my wrist and spins me around. I feel his lips on mine and I kiss him back and weave my fingers through his hair. We kiss for a few minutes, until I wrap my legs around his waist. He carries me out of the building and leans me against a wall. I pull back after a few minutes and rest my head on the wall. “I should get going I’ll, um, see you later.” I say and stand up. I kiss his cheek and walk past him.

 “At least let me give you a ride,” He yells to me.

 “You can’t,” I say continuing to walk down the street. I pull up the hood of my hoodie and walk down the street until I get to my house. I walk down the side and stare at the side of my house. “This will be interesting,” I mumble to myself, taking my hands out of my pockets and grabbing onto the brick wall.