The Knock

Knock knock knock

I stir around.

knock knock knock

Ugh, what the fuck. I sit up and rub my eyes. I look ay my phone, the time shows 6:15.

knock knock knock

Fuck off!!!!

"I'm coming" I shout towards the door. I get up and do a quick stretch before going to the door. I open the door to see a middle-aged couple standing there with a tray of cookies in the woman's hands.

"Hello! We're the Martins we live next door. My name is Claire and this is my husband Ben. We thought we'd bring you some cookies and introduce ourselves" the lady says.

"Oh! Thank you! My names Esme. I'm Richards daughter" I respond

"Richard was a great man" Ben responded

"I wouldn't know I haven't spoken to him in years" I half laugh

"What a shame" this time its Claire who responds with a creepy smile

Suddenly in the distance a wolf howels. The Martins look at each other worried. Claire hands me the tray of cookies before speaking.

"We should head back now, got to put the kids to bed"

"yeap it is a school night" Ben adds

"okay bye! have a good evening" I answer

"bye deer," Claire says before they turn and head down the steps. claire suddenly stops before returning back up the steps.

"Silly me I forgot to invite you to the towns annual Full Moon Ball. It only happens once a year and everyone in town attends. It's happening this Friday if you're interested." she smiles at me

"Oh I don't know I have a lot to do with the house"

"I understand if you don't make it but it is a lot of fun! Bye, hope to see you there" Claire waves as she walks off to join her husband.

I shut the door set down the cookies and go back to the living room picking up my phone. A full moon ball that's strange. I play on my phone switching from apps. A few minutes later I hear another howel and a chill goes down my spine. I shrug it off the wolf is probably miles away in the middle woods.

Fuck I forgot to get groceries now there's nothing to eat. I open yelp on my phone and look for near by resturants. Fuck it, ill just go grocery shopping tomorrow. I find a nearby diner with okayish reviews that's within walking distance. I grab a sweater out of my suitcase because it's starting to get cool outside and put it on. I check the directions one more time and head out locking the door behind me and walk to the diner.

About five minutes later I make it to Moonlight Diner. Why is this town so obsessed with the moon? I walk inside and am greeted by smells of savory food. I inhale the smell and sigh from my growing hunger.

"Just one?" The host asks

"Yeah just one" I answer

"Right this way" I follow her and sit at a booth in the back corner. After a few seconds, the waiter comes to my table.

"Good evening sweetheart my names Deb and ill be your waiter tonight. What can I start you off with to drink?"

"I'll just take a water," I tell Deb

"Okay ill be right back," Deb says before going to get my water. What seems like seconds Deb has my water and sets it on the table in front of me.

"Here you go," Deb says "Do I know you you look really familiar?" she asks.

"No probably not I just got here today. But you probably know my father though. He was Richard Stirling"

"You're Richards daughter? I remember when you were just a little girl. Your father was a great man, always looking out for the community" Deb says enthusiastically

"Yeah, so I've been told. My neighbors also knew my father"

"Your neighbors?" Deb ask. I shake my head to say yes

"The Martins they lived next door to my dad" Deb gives me a strange look.

"The martins? be careful around then"

"Be careful?" I ask

"Oh nevermind that. What can I get you to eat?"

"Um, I'll just have the hamburger," I tell Deb

"Okay sweetheart Ill be back with your food soon," she says before heading to the kitchen to give my order. First wolves howeling, then a moon ball, and now im told to stay away from my neighbors this town is weird. I sigh. Its probably nothing justsmall-townn shit. I pull out my phone and play games as i wait for my food.