Chapter Thirty Four

Dyo dived for the shelter of a secluded doorway. He shook the rain from his hair, wishing that he could shake his growing feeling of anxiety as easily, but it clung on, stubborn as the April showers falling from the sky. Two grey maintenance uniforms, embroidered with white pipping, were clutched to his chest beneath his coat, hopefully drier than the rest of him.

Every bit as suddenly as it had begun, the shower stopped. Clouds drifted dreamily across the sky, revealing the weak spring sun, appearing in time to illuminate the face of the girl who appeared in front of Dyo, raindrops clinging to her face like tears.

"Hi," Dyo breathed, all too conscious of the way her damp top clung to the curves of her body.

"Hey. That rain came out of nowhere!" Athena replied. "I hope you have something warm for us to change into."

Dyo nodded mutely, handing her the first of the maintenance uniforms. The material was thin, but soft and Athena kicked off her shoes to pull it over her jeans. She tugged her wet top over her head, revealing a lace camisole underneath, and put her arms through the sleeves of the uniform. When she'd zipped it up, she handed her discarded top to Dyo. "Can you keep hold of this for me?"

He nodded again. "Where's Sephy?"

"Here!" the other girl replied, rushing towards them. "I left Ori at the pub. He was playing the over-protective boyfriend, so I had to put him in his place before I could head over."

Dyo swallowed the argument he'd been about to make against the girls going in. The resolve on their faces was clear. It would be better if they entered the institute relaxed, rather than in the aftermath of a row. "Okay," he said instead, handing Sephy her uniform. "The service entrance is at the end of this street. Once you're inside, head right. The door at the end of the corridor will lead you to a staircase. The meeting is taking place on the twelfth floor. It's on the other side of the building though, so when you're out of the stairwell, go straight ahead. You need to take the third door on your left, then the second on the right. Along another corridor, then take the last door on the left. The meeting will be in the room to your left, you want the room opposite the doors. Think you can remember that?"

"After you've made me repeat it back to you ten times a day since we formed this plan? No problem; I could direct myself in my sleep," Athena replied with a smile.

"Relax, Dyo," Sephy insisted. "We're going to be fine. Go and meet Orion. We'll see you in an hour."

Dyo nodded and turned to go, spinning round at the last second and pulling Athena in close. He kissed her softly on the lips before pulling back, resting his forehead against hers. "Be careful. Please."

Athena squeezed his shoulders, wishing she could give him some of her confidence. "See you soon," she said, before kissing him again.

"Erm, guys? If you've quite finished, we've got a New London saving mission to carry out!"

"Sorry, Sephy!" Athena pulled away with a laugh. She squeezed Dyo's hands and stepped away from him, linking arms with Sephy instead. "Let's go." With a backwards wave to Dyo, Sephy led Athena towards the metal door at the end of the street. A data pad guarded the wall to the right, glowing an angry red. Sephy approached it confidently, letting it scan her glasses. The pad turned green and they heard the click of the magnetic lock releasing. "Thank you, Ismene!" Athena whispered to her friend as they stepped inside and closed the door.

As Dyo had instructed, they turned right, following the corridor to the end. Sephy was about to pass through the door that would lead them to the stairwell when Athena stopped in front of a door to their left. The glossy label above it read 'Supply Closet'.