Chapter 33

Blackmoore leaves 104 feeling a little lighter than when he went in. He mounts his horse and trots on towards the centre of town. On his way he has many run-ins with lords and ladies, who stop to insist that they never thought he was a murderer and how sorry they are that it has affected his life. They even manage to turn the subject to new business ventures and dinner invitations. He bares the conversations with gritted teeth, it amazes him how much people change when there's something to be gained.

Town is quiet and there seem to be fewer people out and about in the heart of the city. Fancying a stretch his legs he stops by Charing Cross and dismounts. He leads his horse to the side of the road and begins to walk down the pavement. The horse patiently trots beside him. As he nears his destination, he spots a young boy in ragged clothes and bare feet, loitering by the entrance to a dark alley. The lad notices the duke and shrinks back into the shadows as he gets closer.

"Boy, I'll give you a sixpence if you hold my horse." Blackmoore calls. The boy hesitates but then jumps at the chance of earning money and eagerly dashes forward. He takes the reins from Blackmoore and stands perfectly straight and still.

"I'll look after him good mister," The boy promises.

"I am going to the bank around the corner," Blackmoore says, "I won't be more than 10 minutes."

The boy gives him a salute and he chuckles. Blackmoore marches down the street, his cane tapping the pavement as he walks. Looking back before he turns the corner, he sees the lad stroking the horse's neck and whispering into his ear.

The duke walks down the street lined with popular stores selling expensive wares until he reaches a small bank set apart from the main square. The front of the store blends into its dull surroundings but when you walk through the little green door you are greeted with the utmost decadence. Walls made of white marble sparkle as they reflect the shiny gold edging of solid pine desks that are positioned in the entrance. Large candelabras hang from the ceiling and gold gates, guarded by two burly men, lead to the vault room. Two servers, in matching green suits, sit behind their desks but they stand as soon as Blackmoore enters. He is immediately greeted by the bank's manager who comes running over from behind a larger desk to the side. The manager is a small man with slicked dark hair and a well-oiled moustache, he wears the same green suit but a black pin on the left side of his chest signifies his higher position and a hoop of keys jangles at his waist. He clutches at a clipboard.

"Good morning Duke Blackmoore, how may I be of assistance today?" He asks, the moustache twitching.

"I need to take something out of vault 17," Blackmoore says. The manager nods, looking down at the clipboard. "I can see that the late Dowagers Duchess Blackmoore's vault hasn't been opened since her death."

"That is correct," Blackmoore says.

The manager scans across his papers, "As you have not inherited by direct succession there are some papers to sign." He gestures to a nearby assistant who scurries forward with a thick wad of documents.

Blackmoore eyes the thick documents with distaste, he doesn't have time for this.

"How about you sort this paperwork out and take an extra 10% on your bill for something to make the wife smile?" He says with a convincing smile, looking at the ring on the manager's hand.

"You are......very kind, your grace." The manager says faltering at the generosity, he produces a pen from his jacket, "If you could sign here and then follow me."

Blackmoore quickly scribbles his signature and then follows the man through the gates, past the guards and into the back where they walk down a corridor of square vaults built into the wall. They stop at number 17 and the manager takes a key from the hoop at his belt and unlocks the door. The heavy iron door swings open to reveal heavy necklaces, giant pearls and glittering jewels.