Chapter 28

The jolting of the horse is uncomfortable at first but Evelyn eventually gets used to Neptune's long stride and falls into the rhythm. They venture past the outskirts of London and Evelyn allows the tears to fall. They fall fast and thick and only stop when they are are miles away from 104 and from Duke Blackmoore. 

Not being a seasoned rider means that in the third hour of solid riding, switching between trotting and cantering, the exhaustion hits hard. Her stomach also grumbles it's displeasure. The midday sun tries to shine down upon them but the thick clouds blanket the sky. When Evelyn can no longer feel any part of her legs she decides that a break is in order. 

 She slows Neptune to a walk and finds a spot on the side of the road next to a small brook. Taking her feet out of the stirrups, she stretches her legs and half rolls, half jumps, off the horse. She hits the ground hard and staggers as her dead legs can't take her weight. She groans and stretches her neck out before leading Neptune over to a tree by the trickling water. 

She ties him up and he reaches his head down to the sparkling clear water to drink his fill. She strokes his neck as he drinks and observes her surroundings, it's a quiet road that is lined with thick trees and thorn bushes. The little stream twists away and turns a corner to be hidden by a few small rises. She approaches the saddlebags and undoes the buckles to look inside. The smaller of the two has a few apples, some bread and a bit cheese as well as a full water pouch. She has a small drink of the water and takes out an apple, after a few bites she gives the rest to Neptune who munches it up happily. In the other bag, she finds some woolly socks, a spare pair of gloves, a tiny knife and a pouch of coins. She takes the money and tucks it into her inside coat pocket. 

Neptune looks around for her as he finishes his drink, he nickers softly and she moves over him. She hugs his neck and breathes in the sweet smell of horse and hay. 

"I don't know what I am going to do." She whispers to him and he snuffles her hand  "It's a bit of a mess." 

Neptune's dark intelligent eyes blink at her and he seems to sense her sadness, he nudges her gently. She sinks onto the ground and plays with the grass, the trees around protect her from the worst of the wind. For half an hour she rests, she watches the stream and talks to Neptune. 

The sun has completely vanished behind the dense cloud and although it remains dry, the air has turned colder. Evelyn looks up at her horse. 

"Ready?" She asks, getting to her feet and untying his reins. Neptune suddenly goes very tense as she pulls the reins over his head.

"Miss, can I help you?" A voice says from behind her. 

"I am fine thank you." She says squeakily, not turning around. She hears the sound of hooves on road and then two more footsteps join, she closes her eyes and nestles closer to Neptune. 

"Miss Wright?"

Hearing her name she whips around to see Lawerence Jordan walking over to her, a black stallion walking loyally behind him.

"Hello." She says, astonished. 

"This is a very unexpected surprise." He says, smiling. 

"Quite." She agrees and she looks around for anyone else but there is only the two of them, "What are you doing here?"

He looks bashful and glances away from her. "I don't tell many people because family money is the only money around here." He looks embarrassed and won't look at her. "But I have a shipping company and I am travelling to Newcastle port for business." He gives her a handsome quirky smile, "And yourself?"

"I...am going home." She says carefully, not sure whether he has heard about her current predicament. "My cousin and brother want to stay longer but I missed the countryside."