Chapter 14

"Eliza Turner?" Blackmoore frowns. "Why her?" 

"Becuase you refuse to see the Duke of Sheffield," Evelyn says as they both walk to the door. Claude has made himself scarce and the two strangers stand facing each other, distrust floating between them. Blackmoore sighs and rolls his eyes at her insistence. 

"Fine, the carriage is outside." He says opening the door. "But you should know." He calls after her as she leaves the warmth of the house. "She married now." 

Evelyn stops on the bottom step and whirls around, confusion all over her face. "Married to whom?" 

"Jasper Harrington." The duke joins her on the bottom step and offers her a wonky smile. 

"Really? Wow." Evelyn tilts her head. The carriage in front of her is wider than any she has ever seen. The gleaming black doors are painted with the family crest and a small man sits at the front holding onto the reins of two gorgeous white mares. Blackmoore opens the door and steps aside to allow her up but he doesn't offer his hand so she climbs inside and takes a seat. The carriage has red leather seats and is very spacious, no doubt you could fit five or six people inside. 

"She's moved then? Out of Ryddan Manor?" She asks as he sits opposite and slams the door. 

"Yes, they are at Chester Valley now, I think." He says. 

"Then that is where we shall go." She says, comfortably leaning back into the seat. The Duke nods and hits the roof with his stick. 

"Chester Valley." He barks and the carriage rolls into moving. He crosses his legs and places both hands on the top of his cane. He surveys her intensely, his dark eyes seem to peer into her soul. She feels a slight blush creep around the tops of her ears, she lowers her eyes and regrets not bringing a book along. 

"I am curious, how do you know all this law and legal jargon?" He asks. 

"My brother is studying to be a lawyer." She explains, "I often help him learn things and I do find the way the law works interesting." 

"It a very odd thing to like, law. I know several lawyers that hate it and it's their job." He comments. 

"There's a certain...inticing integrity in law." She says, "It's a complex system with many loopholes and catches that make it interesting though I'll admit, it has many flaws." She notices he is staring at her with wonder and confusion. "Well, what do you like?" 

"Whiskey and women, the best combination." He says cheekily. Evelyn doesn't conceal her disgust and he leans forward. "And you are a very beautiful woman." 

She glowers and also leans forward so that their faces are a few inches away from each other. 

"Duke Blackmoore, if I am going to help you, you need to be aware that I am not one of your lady friends, this is a partnership, not a relationship." 

"A partnership is a relationship." He points out.

"A business one." She counters. 

He smiles at her, his eyes smouldering. "I cannot help it when I see a gorgeous woman I have to say so."

"For the sake of your neck, hold your tongue." She bites back and sits up promptly. He holds his hands up in mock surrender as he also rights his posture. 

"I beg your pardon." He smirks. Evelyn ignores him and turns to look out of the window. The duke taps his stick on the floor to capture her attention but she doesn't even flinch. He sighs dramatically and tuts.  Still nothing. For fifteen long minutes, he tries to gain her focus or at least receive a glance but she remains like a statue.