Chapter 1

Evelyn Wright curses her stupidity as she rereads the letter in her hand. Her cousin, Henrietta, had taken her advice to her surprise and now she holds the reply from her aunt, insisting that the entire Wright family come to London before the season begins. Evelyn looks up at her father across the desk in his private study, she slides the letter back across the polished oak and grimaces at the stern expression on his face. Every wall in the room is covered with books and manuscripts, they contain a small portion of all worldly knowledge hidden in their yellowing pages and fading ink.

Mr Wright is lucky to boast having the cleverest and most accomplished pair of children in the whole of Darlington however, despite his son being slightly unrefined at the best of times, it is his daughter that causes him the most grief especially when his wayward niece is involved.

"I presume you had some hand in Henrietta writing to my sister against my express wishes that we would not be going to London this year." He asks, his eyebrows, pulled together. Evelyn shifts in her hard chair and folds her hands on her lap.

"It was not my intention for her to write to my aunt." She says mutinously.

"Then why did this letter interrupt my breakfast this morning?" He picks up the letter from his desk, folds it and tucks it into his jacket pocket.

"She came to see me after you refused her and I was simply consoling her." Evelyn explains, "You know I have as little a wish as you do to visit London."

"And now we must go to London," Mr Wright sighs.

"Must we?" She says desperately, "Can you not reply that you are otherwise engaged? Or just send Henrietta and whoever else wishes to see Town."

He shakes his head, "My sister is very persuasive, and your cousin may not be in possession of a fortune but she is one of the silliest girls in the country, I could not, in good mind, send her without the watchful eye of her more sensible cousin" He leans back in his old armchair, "It seems you have created a trap of your own volition Evie."

Evelyn is silent for a moment. Her distaste of London stems from the few trips she has taken in the past years, the manic chaos of city life was exciting to her young mind, she was eager to experience everything she could until she discovered that the people who inhabited the loud, modern city were not as welcoming or friendly as the place itself."When are we to leave?" She asks finally.

"In two days time." Her father replies, "I hope you will try to enjoy your time there."

"I would sooner have fun in a convent." She replies with a half smile. "Though I am sure William will enjoy the nightly balls and the chance to meet beautiful ladies."

"I am sure he will," He says, ignoring her jest. "Will you send Juliet to me?"

"Of course, father." Evelyn stands and curtsies. She walks around her chair and turns the handle on the door. She leaves the room and wanders across the ground floor of Oakmere House, her slippers patter across the wooden floor until she reaches the door to the small basement kitchen. She walks down the spiral stone steps and narrowly avoids one of the kitchen maids with a sloshing bucket of water. She carefully manoeuvres her way past the cook barking orders at a poor grocery boy and scampers up a small set of stairs to the backdoor. She pushes the small door open and slips into the garden. An icy bluster of wind smacks into her face and blows her pale golden hair across her face. She spits hair out of her mouth and hurries down a path to the walled part of the garden.

The snowdrops are struggling to push their way out of the frosty soil, their ivory heads can just be seen peaking beneath as they prepare to bloom. She walks past the sleeping rose bushes and into the most private part of the garden. A swing hangs from one of the great oak trees and a stone walled pond hides behind overgrown thorns, the wall provides shelter from the chilly wind. Evelyn sits down on the swing and gently pushes herself with her feet. A shadow appears over face and a pair of boots land on the ground in front of her. The man straightens from his crouch and turns to her.