9 ♛ Into the Palace

Start from the beginning

After muttering a few words to his partner, the guard disappeared behind the gates. He left a confused Long'Er behind, who was now regretting her decision to come.

Li Xun would have many formidable warriors capable of protecting him and yet he wanted her to be his bodyguard? What good would she be to him?

As her mind was considering if she should turn around and leave instead, the guard returned with a eunuch.

"Come," he gestured to her to follow him, before trudging back inside. "Follow Eunuch Li and he will take you to meet His Highness."

She was in a dilemma. With a short, dazed nod, she trailed after the man, crossing the gates that would soon lead her into the beautiful and grandest royal palace that everybody had talked about. Just like the rumours had mentioned, the buildings stood majestically. Enchanting gardens with a wide variety of sweet-smelling flowers greeted her. Maids and eunuchs were everywhere, making their way around quickly to fulfil whatever duties they needed to do.

Eunuch Li led her into a waiting room and told her to stay put. She obliged. When he left, she took the chance to observe the well-furnished room. Picking up one of the small, wooden craft pieces sitting on the wrought iron table, she examined and admired the handiwork of the perfectly carved dragon. Even the vases holding fresh flowers looked exquisite and expensive that she only dared to admire from afar.

Her attention shifted to another piece of object – a large sphere with many little dots on its surface. She recognised what it was, but it was the first time seeing it in person. Her fingers pressed lightly against the globe, giving it a few spins and reading the tiny names of neighbouring countries.

"It's a Terrestrial Globe," a voice explained to her. "A map of our world. Because of this, there are many interesting debates whether the world is flat or round. "

She jumped a little, before turning around slowly to meet the man. Her mind was so engrossed in studying the exquisite object that she hadn't heard the prince coming in.

Once again, she was enthralled by his devilishly handsome looks. He was wearing an elegant blue robe with his raven hair flowing down his back like a river of dusk silver. His face was luminescent, his flawless skin glowing with radiance.

He was simply beautiful and dignified.

Was this how a man chosen by heaven would look like?

A smile pulled the corner of his lips. "I'm surprised that you came. It has been a month since we last met and I was beginning to lose hope."

She studied him with a slight tilt of her head, her eyes . "You surprised me more," she admitted honestly. "I see a man who looks less like a general but more like a prince now."

He returned a sheepish look. "I apologise for not telling you in the beginning. I thought you would have figured it out eventually."

Obviously she didn't.

"If I did, I wouldn't have been reprimanded," she mumbled.

He arched a brow questioningly. "By who? The guards? Should I dismiss them from their duties and send them back home for being rude to the person that saved my life?"

Long'Er was shocked. "Of course not!" she protested, and he chuckled humorously.

"I'm pulling your leg. But," he said happily, "I'm really glad you're behaving indifferently even after knowing my real identity."

Embarrassment tinted her cheeks. Because she lived in a rural area, she wasn't used to addressing people formally. Moreover, this was her first time meeting a nobleman. "Well, how should I address you?"

Li Xun wore a thoughtful expression. "It's best to use honorifics when we are with the others, but you may drop the formalities when we are alone," he answered.

To this, she nodded her head in agreement. It was better this way, if she wanted to avoid having a repeat of what had happened back at the palace gate.

With a delightful smile, he waved her over. "Come on, I'll show you around the palace."

"