Chapter 6 - Cold

It's been a week now (I assume) since Eyeless Jack apologized to me.

The air blew through the open window, carrying the scent of cold weather on the wind. It was lighter, and much easier to breathe in. I found this to be a great relief, this dusty old room kept my lungs feeling tight almost daily now. And without my inhaler, I won't be able to fully recover anytime soon. At least now I can breathe somewhat normal.

The only downside is that even though the air is easier to breathe, the temperature is going to start dropping as cold air comes in. And considering that I have no means of keeping myself warm, this might be an issue. It's bad enough that my back has gone stiff and sore from being confined to this terrible bed, but now I'll have to deal with constant shivering in the middle of the night? I'll never be able to sleep at this rate.

The door had remained tightly shut for the entire time I've been awake. It seemed a little lonely now, like I was so accustomed to seeing the deep blue mask greeting me everyday, and now that I'm presented with its absence, it feels like something is missing. It truly felt like the only color to contrast the dull and faded auburn walls and pale gray concrete floors surrounding me was that rich blue, deeper than any ocean I've seen.

Sure, the trees were tall enough to be skyscrapers, and in various beautiful shades of green. But the ones closest to my window had turned brown, the limbs that once reached for the sky and clouds above have now rotten and fallen to the Earth, dead beneath it. It wasn't because of the cold weather coming in, no, apparently there was a disease going through the plant life in this area. At least that's what Eyeless Jack told me via one of his notes.

Speaking of which, or well, not speaking at all - I've been ignoring him lately-. At first I was a little nervous to completely ignore him, because I wasn't entirely sure of how he'd react. So I started off by just not answering him sometimes, and eventually it got to the point where I didn't even look at his notebook whenever he tried telling me something. That didn't last, though. He kept leaving it propped against that seat, and eventually curiosity got the better of me -as it always does-.

It didn't take long for him to realize I still secretly read it.

So, instead, I've taken to not speaking at all. I'd read his note, but not respond in the slightest. I guess, after enough time, this finally got under his skin, because he hasn't come in for a while now. He's been entirely absent.

Usually he's here first thing, but all day it's been radio silence. I also haven't seen him since around midday yesterday. Which is a strange shift since he's been hovering around me ever since our last 'conversation'.

It really did flip completely. A full role reversal. He was the one avoiding me, and I was the one vying for his attention. And now it's the other way around.

Maybe he gave up on me. Decided I'm not worth the hassle. So, he left me here with the elements to sink or swim on my own.

I really don't like the idea of a slow, agonizing death. But hey, I guess it's better than being a prisoner until I die of old age or something. And I did technically ask him to kill me if he wasn't planning on letting me go. Maybe he took that to heart.

So, if he did decide to let me wither away, there really isn't anything I can do about it now. I sorta asked for it anyway, so...Ah, whatever. Not like I can control anything anyway.

All I do know is that I'll most likely be awake throughout all of it; since no medication. And I'll most likely be alone; since no him.

I'll be here until my flesh melts and is devoured by whatever creatures climb through that window. My skeleton will still be here long after I am gone. And it will still be restrained to this mattress, having never tasted freedom again. What a way to go; these old bones of mine would have the chance to see and know so much more than I ever will, but they won't get to leave this tiny room.