Rubaru

Part 35

After driving in silence for blissful moments, they reached his bungalow quite late. Sameer entered the short driveway and pulled the car to the side of the walkway. Although it was dark, the garden lights as well as those on the terrace and around the house were on. Naina cautiously looked around as soon as the car halted and Sameer killed the engine. He only looked at her but she wasn't paying attention to him. So, without any words, he hopped off and came around to open her side of the door. That was when she realized that he had already left the car and was awaiting for her to descend holding the door and stepping aside like a true gentleman. He closed the door while Naina was busy fawning over the splendid garden with a two-seater white swing under the shade of the banyan-like tree. How she and Preeti always wanted a jhula at home but there was no space. There were lines and rows of colourful flowers and plants that she might have not even heard names of. She wasn't a Botany enthusiast but even she could tell that apart from the usual Indian varieties of flowers like roses, lilies, dahlias and carnations, there were several hybrids that must require painstaking care for blooming. She wondered if Sameer had any interest in gardening or at least basic knowledge more than hers.

She didn't realize that she was walking slowly admiring the natural beauty around her when Sameer whispered almost inaudibly around her, "andarr chale...thand badh rahi hai!"

She turned to look at him and followed his lead when the sight in front of her bowled her over. A sprawling white mansion with rounded terrace was three-storey high. One of the rooms had a Juliette balcony while others had large French windows. The height and breadth itself presented its grandeur that was further highlighted with small yellow moon bulbs lending it an ethereal orange glow. Naina had never visited a real palace but read enough history and seen pictures to imagine that this could be a modern version of one of those. Indubitably, Sameer's personality had exuded a royal confidence and now she knew clearly where it originated from. He surely descended from an exquisite lineage. She wished she could map his genealogy. Just as soon as the thought crossed her brain, she tapped herself for invading his space without permission. She had to wait till he shared.

They entered the small verandah which had a rocking chair, which surely gave the vibes of an age and countless stories. She rightly presumed that it might have belonged to his grandfather who he talked fondly about. He unlocked the main door with the set of keys that chained his car as well as house keys and a couple others and pushed the double door open. If she was awed by the vision outside, she was totally mesmerised by the view inside. He let her precede him like a chivalrous gentleman and they entered a small passage that connected to a large hall. It was well furnished exquisitely with delicately carved and hand-crafted pieces of furniture as per need. The decorative artefacts and pieces just enhanced the glowing halo cast by the overhead small chandelier. It gave a classic Victorian feel without overdo. The lights were left on and while she was still taking in the breathtaking structure, a voice was heard from the other corner of the room.

"Bhaiyya...aap aa gaye?" Hume toh badi chinta ho rahi thi. Aap theek se kuch bataye bina hi chale gaye. Hume toh yeh bhi nahi pataa tha ki aap kab wapas aayenge! Main khana bana doon Bhaiyya?" Ramdhari was worried as usual and also noticed the guest but refrained from commenting when he noticed both their haggard states.

Before deciding for them both, Sameer looked at Naina and asked politely, "tum kuch khaogi?" When she shook her head in a no, he tried one more time out of politeness, "Ramdhari Maggie bhi bahut achchi banata hai!" She smiled slightly at his effort but still denied. "Thank you par abhi peth bhara hua hai!"

Sameer looked at his caretaker, "Nahi Ramdhari...hum khana khakar aaye hai". He was deliberating as to what to say and how to say it, but then went for a direct approach, "Ramdhari yeh Naina hai. Meri dost. Inke rehne ke liye guest room taiyyar kar de".