The Hatched Plan

Part 16

It was late afternoon and the mild breeze took away the itch of the escalating warmth. The trees in the roadside swayed gently giving out a soothing sound of the rustling leaves. Sameer stopped the car in front of Mr. Parekh's bungalow on the other side of Satellite area in Ahmedabad. The front lawn of the bungalow was full of various plants. He was also one of the known textile businessmen in Ahmedabad and a gardener by hobby. Sameer couldn't help but breathe in the fragrance of his lawn, seeking that one breath of scented fresh air, but although the hibiscus, carnations and chrysanthemums exuded a light fragrance that only someone with heightened sense of smell like Sameer could detect, the one he craved was missing. God alone knew what was the connection between that smell, him and Anamika.

Pushing away the digress, he focused on the current matter. Mr. Parekh had further enhanced his reputation by associating with the Maheshwari Industries since several years. Ironically, Nanu's absence had turned the tables and Sameer had to ask for a favor unwillingly. He was sure Mr. Parekh was going to negotiate his terms, but he had come prepared too.

"Sameer...yaar tu karna kya chah raha hai? Dekh, tere kehne par humne Parekh uncle ko phone karke bata toh diya tha ki tu business ke silsile mein milna chah raha hai. Par na tune wajah batayi na unhone puchi", Munna was totally baffled with Sameer's willingness to negotiate with the person whose adamant behaviour had led Sameer in a perilous situation.

When Sameer didn't answer, "Bhaiii...kahi sachchi mein tune Sunaina se shaadi karne ka mann toh nahi bana liya?" Pandit rather concerned about Sameer's suicidal mission, leaned forward from the backseat and spoke with his face in between both boys. When Sameer just scoffed in response, "Bhai...woh ladki nahi aafat hai aafat...saari zindagi aisa aafat ko gale mein taangne se toh khudkushi karna behtar hai".

"Abe Ponga...kar di na tune wahi wali baat! Agar Sameer ko khudkushi hi karni hogi, toh aasan ek chutki wale ek sau ek tareeke milenge. Bail tu ruk, main aata hoon, fir aaram se mujhe maar wala raasta kyon chunega?" Munna retorted as he was sure something was definitely cooking in Sameer's head. He wouldn't sign up for a lifetime of Sunaina.

Sameer smirked hard as his friend knew him well but also was worried for him. "Tum log buss meri haan mein haan milana aur mujhpe bharosa rakhna", was all he warned them. He grabbed the file from the dashboard and laterally folded it and got out from the car, followed by his friends.

When they reached the front door, it was already open and they were greeted respectfully by the servant, who was anticipating the visit. "Aap log baitho...main sahab ko bulata hoon!" A middle-aged servant showed them to the living room and hurriedly disappeared inside. The room was big and decorated like museum. Antiques and artefacts from around the world adored the walls and shelves and a few also hung from the cieling. Sameer and the boys stared at each piece. A boar head was fixated in the wall, a giant Victorian style chandelier hung from the cieling with at least 500 light pieces, 2 rifles from ancient Rajputana were decorated on the far wall anchored by a shield, a couple of Viking crowns were on display on the shelf by the TV cabinet along with the Sphinx and Ramsay's bust. A medium-size statue of Meerabai with ektara built from
marble was placed on the side table between the sofas, while a large brass pot with Rose petals on water was placed as a centrepiece on the large coffee table.

"Bhai....yeh ghar hai ya museum?" Pandit was really amused.

Sameer couldn't answer as a young skinny maid came out with a tray holding three glasses of water. Each chugged down the cool water to quench their parched throats and also calm the jitters.

Though Sameer was acting confident and didn't let any panic or fear show, his insides were crawling and gut was being chewed up with tension as this was the very first time, he was representing his Nanu and his business as SJM and that too all by himself without any direction or guidance from anyone. He was going to be solely responsible for whatever happened and whatever decisions he made and their consequences.