The Real Families

Part 3

The Maheshwari mansion was decorated for the most awaited event, Sameer's 21st birthday. Maheshwariji had a barrage of instructions to Munshiji about the decorations, cake, food and music.

It was hardly 7:00 a.m yet but the shrill scream had stopped the flurry of activities around the household that Maheshwariji was trying to get ready for his dear grandchild to give him the surprise of his life and the best possible birthday ever. He directed Munshiji to continue the left-over decorations and draw the dark curtains to block-out any outside light though it was already grey indicating another rainy day of September with a cool morning.

The old man hurried to Sameer's room as he might need to be comforted after the petrifying nightmare. The nightmares had bothered Sameer since his infancy as he had started to speak immediately after he calmed down in the morning he had first opened his eyes. He looked like any normal infant, requiring the same care and concern but held some uncanny powers that were a part of his constitution, though abnormal for others. However, the frequency of these nightmares had increased over the past few months, indicating the signs and symptoms of his nearing youth.

Jaiprakashji threw open the door but the sight halted him in his tracks. Sameer was sitting in his bed but didn't have the usual haggard look. Rather, his eyes were closed and a serene smile adorned his visage. He seemed to be in deep meditation trying to inhale and breathe something in the air around him. In his bright yellow night suit, ke looked radiant as a part of the morning sunrays filtrating though the curtains.

Sensing someone around with gaze on him, Sameer opened his eyes and turned towards him. Long-gone was the haunting look in his eyes that usually bothered him for several waking hours, instead was replaced with an unmatched joy of gaining inner peace.

Sameer was delighted to first see the person he loved the most in the world, "Nanu!" He exclaimed happily and jumped out of bed to greet him. He touched his Nanu's feet and hugged him excitedly.

"Arre buss buss beta, jeeta reh, hazaaron saal jeeta reh aur bahut khush reh. Eeshwar kare teri har ichcha puri ho, tu jo chahe tujhe sab mile". Nanu blessed him with every single prayer he had in his quiver.

"Thanks you Nanu, aapka aashirwad mere liye best gift hai...par aapne promise kiya tha ki mujhe 21st birthday par mujhe Mummy se milaaoge! Toh bataaiye, kahan hai Mummy? Kab aayengi? Meri toh aankhein taras gayi hai unhe dekhne ke liye. Aapne unke naam ke alava kabhi kuch nahi bataya aur na hi Papa ke baare mein".

"Sab bataunga, abhi tu chal mere saath!" Nanu held Sameer's hand and started taking him towards the hall. Sameer was amused but allowed being taken wordlessly. When Sameer stood in the center of the dark hall, Nanu clapped twice and several lights and sconces lighted up immediately on the walls, curtains and ceilings. Happy Birthday Sameer in multicolours and golden sparkle adorned one of the largest walls of the hall. Flower arrangements were set up on all the flat surfaces and looked exuberant. They smelled heavenly when he breathed in deeply as his senses were very strong and he could smell a blooming bud miles away. But none of these flowers smelled like the fragrance he breathed in this morning. He longed to inhale the same scent but kept quiet as his Nanu had painstakingly done so much to brighten up his day.

He felt overwhelmed with Nanu's unconditional love and just hugged him, "thank you Nanu! Thank you so much!"

The emotional moment between Nanu and Sameer was pleasantly interrupted by a loud cacophony "happy birthday Sameer!"

Sameer disentangled from the hug and announced without looking, "Munna Pandit!" He ran to the boys and they hugged in their signature trio. "Happy birthday bhai!"
"Thank you yaaron! Par tum ab aa rahe ho? Raat ko kyon nahi aaye? Phone bhi nahi kiya!"