Questions

Part 11

A few years ago in college:

Girls drooled over him since day 1 in college but Sameer had never shown even the remotest interest. This had been taken as an offence by the college Rose Queen Sunaina Parekh. Since the first day, she was curious that when every head turned along her path, how come the most handsome dude wasn't even slightly ruffled. Eventually, she had taken a liking to what she deemed as his rude and arrogant behaviour and presumed that like every single guy in the college, he would propose her on Rose Day. The day came and went but her wait was never-ending.

For Sameer, it had been like any other day. However, Munna Pandit weren't oblivious to the matter and had brought him all gossip and rumours. But Sameer had only one thing to say, "usko jo sochna hai sochne do, jo karna hai karne do. Mujhe usmein ya kisi bhi ladki mein koi interest nahi hai".

This was a big blow to Sunaina's ego and the fashion diva of the college was determined to make him drool and then wrap him around her little finger as her arm candy. She went to lengths flirting with other guys as the height of her tops decreased from the top and the length of the skirt decreased from the bottom. The height of her stiletoes and dark make up gave rather appropriate provocative vibes than that of a fashionista, leading to inuendoes by college duds. Sunaina was oblivious to all of it and was focused on only defeating Sameer. This had highly infuriated Kartik who was her neighbor and self-proclaimed boyfriend. He had tried to tell her but she paid no heed to his feelings.

Sunaina had never admitted that she loved Sameer, and Kartik knew that even after trying to instill some sense in her, she was hell-bent on having Sameer just to prove a point that she could have any guy she desired and not even Sameer Maheshwari could be immune to her beauty and charisma.

This had made Kartik really uncomfortable, and since, he couldn't put sense in her, he attacked Sameer using negative psychology by mocking him and spreading rumours with the help of his friends Vicky and Priyank.

"Yaar Sunaina jaisi khoobsurat ladki aaj tak nahi dekhi". Kartik started applying his strategy once during the sports training. "Kuch mahinon pehle hum uske baju wale bunglow mein shift hue, tab se dekh raha hoon use. Sach mein koi bhi dekh le, toh buss apna dil haar jaye uspar".

"Woh toh hai yaar...college ka har ladka Sunaina se dosti karna chahta hai. Itni beautiful, stylish or modern hai", Priyank echoed his thoughts and earned a glare, immediately looking contrite that he might have been overboard while praising his friend's alleged girlfriend.

"Haan... woh toh hai, har koi usse dosti karna chahta hai. Par har koi hamari tarah lucky nahi hota. Kuch log toh lucky hokar bhi unlucky hi reh jaate hai". Kartik taunted further.

"Tu kehna kya chah raha hai Kartik?" Vicky too steered the conversation to where Kartik was leading.

"Arre kuch nahi yaar...Sunaina jaisi ladki dekhkar agar kisi ladke ke dil mein ghanti na baje toh ya toh uska khoon jam gaya hoga ya toh fir..." Kartik instigated.

"Ya toh fir kya?" Priyank prodded.

"Arre Priyank...tujhe pataa nahi kya purane zamane mein raja maharajon aur nawabon ke raniwaas aur harem ki dekh rekh le liye...unhe rakha jaata tha!" He made a mockery of the transgender community and winked. When Vicky and Priyank caught on, all three stared at each other and burst out laughing.

Sameer was trying his best to ignore until now but not even he could tolerate any disrespect towards any creature, whatever they might be and however different they might be. He somehow had a very deep sense of in-built respect towards any living being, plants, animals, etc. he never intentionally harmed anyone.