The Mysterious Infant

Part 2

The white mansion was the biggest and belonged to one of the richest businessman in the city of Ahmedabad, Mr. Jaiprakash Maheshwari. The aging businessman was respected and looked up to in the city as one of the leaders and people listened to him and followed him without much question. He single handedly had revolutionised the garment business in the city. His large factories and mills in and around Ahmedabad in Gandhinagar and Surendranagar established the cloth manufacturing industry in the small towns and provided jobs and developed the places to match the might of the big cities. His export trade from Khambhat lent it the recognition of the port for regular trading.

However, his age had mandated him to slow down, and hence, the business was run by his trusted employee Kishore Mehta who was famously known as Munshiji by one and all.

He was hired by Jaiprakash Maheshwari when he first stepped into the city at the age of 12 after losing his family in the sandstorms of Jaiselmer. All he was left was a rupee ten note in his pocket. He had walked, hiked, asked for lifts, worked for food and a sleeping place and somehow managed to reached the city in about three months. He never spent the money he was last carrying in his pocket even if had to go hungry or thirsty for a couple of days. It was the last gift from his mother, who had been saving the money from her household expenses for a year. On his birthday morning, she gave him the money and said only one thing, "isse hamesha sambhal ke rakhna, yeh barkat laayega".

Those were his mother's last words because he had gone out to play with his friends, which saved him from being caught in the whirlwind but when he returned, there was no home and no family left. He was forced to leave with the clothes on his back and her gift in the pocket. But somehow, that line was etched in his heart and brain that he knew the money was not only just that but rather his mother's blessings that would always earn him livelihood and would flourish his life.

Fifty years later with deteriorating age, he was satisfied with his life. He had worked hard, fallen in love, married, and raised a daughter. But life had taken an unexpected turn and he had to raise her son too. At the age of 62, he was left with a vast business empire and a handsome grandson, Sameer Maheshwari, who was the apple of his eye and the light of his dwindling life. He could never forget the fateful day when he had opened the door to his verandah, while hollering Gangadhar, servant in post, but who had worked for him and taken care of the household like a woman would, to serve his tea on the swing so that he could enjoy the evening breeze as the direction of the wind and the greying sky indicated that it might rain soon.

As soon as he stepped out, he saw a tiny bundle lying close to the steps of the verandah. He had no idea who had left what, and so skeptically, he moved towards it and bent down to check. What he saw, shocked him. A peaceful sleeping form, hardly a few-days-old was wrapped in black robes and covered top to toe in black shawl. A small booklet was left on it with an envelope jutting out from it. He couldn't help himself and gathered the serene infant in his arms. None of the movements disturbed the slumber, and so he picked him up carefully and positioned himself comfortably in the chaise lounge, so that the infant could lie on his lap. He pulled out the envelope and the letter and began reading the miltipage description. What he read shook him to the core, and he was glad he had seated before opening the letter or else his legs would have wobbled. As if reflecting his reaction, the sky thundered loudly.

Usually, in such situations, the infants would wake up wailing loudly but this little guy was unperturbed and the old man couldn't believe that he would remain so for the next God knew how many years. He checked the infant and was relieved that he was breathing and the heart beat seemed normal, but he was not going to wake up anytime soon. None knew when that would happen. Only the birthmark in the shape of an eye on his heart would indicate when that would occur. It was unexplainable beyond words. He picked up the baby and walked to the edge of the verandah and gazed out in the growing dark, trying to find someone but his diminishing eyesight did not allow him to spot the retreating figure of Vishakha who though was pained from being separated from her child but still had a contended smile that he was in safe hands and would be well-cared for.

Just then Gangadhar came out with a hot steaming cup of tea, "Malik, aapki chai". He too was surprised seeing his employer hold an infant and couldn't stop himself, "Malik, kiska bachcha hai yeh?"

"Shhhh...andar chal Gangadhar. Sab batata hoon". They gathered all the paraphernalia and the infant and went inside and locked the door.

Jaiprakash Maheshwari placed the infant comfortably on the sofa and made a harried phone call to Munshiji, who arrived within minutes. All three men stared at the baby and the other two had thousand questions coursing through their minds. Maheshwariji started explaining everything to his most trusted employees, who were his only family since Vishakha left.

"Yeh Vishakha ka beta hai, Sameer! Par abhi yeh so raha hai. Aur shayad kuch saalon tak sota rahega".

"Par aisa kaise ho sakta hai Malik? Koi bhi bachcha ya bada kuch ghanton tak so sakta hai, kuch saalon tak kaise? Yeh toh sirf kahaniyon mein hota hai!" Stated Munshiji as a matter-of-fact.

"Toh yahi samajh lo ki kuch aisa hi hai. Aap logon ki aakhon ke samne koi kahani sach hone ja rahi hai. Yeh Vishakha aur uska beta hai, alag toh hona hi tha", Jaiprakashi stated as if it was an obvious fact.

"Hum ne toh aapse pehle hi kaha tha Malik ki Vishakha beti ko uske saath mat jane do. Woh kuch sahi nahi lagta tha. Bada ajeeb sa tha. Jab se bitiya gayi hai, aajtak koi khabar nahi aayi. Aur aaj achanak unka beta. Par agar yeh yahan aaya hai, matlab Vishakha beti ise khud yahan chod gayi hogi na Malik! Hume unhe dhoondhna chahiye. Woh zyaada durr nahi gayi hogi." Gangadhar was more worried about Vishakha for he had cared for her just lile a mother when she had passed away. He had never approved her choice of groom for getting married but one fine day she had simply eloped with him leaving behind only a letter that she had chosen her path and was happy about it and would bear whatever consequences it entailed.

"Gangadhar, Vishakha ko apni zindagi ka faisla karne se maine kabhi nahi roka tha. Haan mujhe uski pasand kuch ajeeb lagi thi par main kabhi uske khilaaf nahi tha. Par aaj uski chithti padhkar samajh aaya hai ki woh iss tarah chali kyon gayi. Aur use dhoondhne ka koi fayda nahi kyonki woh samne nahi aana chahti. Warna ab tak aa gayi hoti. Usne chahe jo bhi kiya ho, use achchi tarah pata hai ki uske Papa ke ghar aur dil ke darwaze uske liye hamesha khule hai. Aaj usne bahut vishwas aur bharose ke saath apne jigar ke tukde ki zimmedari mujhe di hai. Tum log buss yeh batao ki mera saath doge ya nahi?"

Both his employees looked at each other and stated unanimously, "Malik, aapke liye toh jaan bhi haazir hai. Bataaiye kya karna hai?"

"Filhaal, hume ise chupakar rakhna hoga. Yeh zinda hai par gehri neend mein. Buss yeh samajh lo ki abhi bhi apni Maa ke peth mein hai."

"Toh fir yeh jagega kab?" Asked Gangadhar.

"Yeh toh Eeshwar hi jane. Par tab tak hume isse zinda rakhne liye nabhi se dhoodh aur kuch paushtik cheezein dalte rehna hoga, waise hi jaise bachcha peth mein naal se Maa ka khana baantta hai. Chinta mat karo, yeh aasani se hoga kyonki iski rachna hi aisi hai".

Both looked at each other coz though they didn't know much about Vishakha's husband, they understood that the creature before them might not be completely human. But they didn't ask questions due to their loyalty to the family.

"Aur haan, bahar kisiko pataa nahi chalna chahiye ki iss ghar mein bachcha hai!" Jaiprakashji instructed them further.

So began their arduous journey of caring for a infant in hiding without his mother and that too a sleeping one for an indefinite period.

About 4 years later, one fine day, in the wee hours of morning, Jaiprakashji awoke with a startle at an unusual sound in his room. Also, Gangadhar came running from his downstairs quarter, where he lived with his toddler, Ramdhari, as his wife passed away in childbirth.

Both hurried to the crib and peered at the loudly wailing infant who seemed to cry so loud as if hungry since centuries. Jaiprakashji noticed that the black eye-tye tattoo on his heart had turned golden. He smiled and Gangadhar questioned in surprise, "Maik, bachcha achanak jaagke itna ro raha hai aur aap muskura rahe ho?"

"Gangadhar, main muskura raha hoon, kyonki iske jaagne ka samay ho gaya tha....woh aa chuki hai iss duniya main....Sameer ki Naina!"

Now 21 years later, Jaiprakashji realized that soon Sameer will have to embrace his fate and embark the journey of the quest of his destiny. His birthday was soon approaching in a week and while he was happy for his grandson, the fear of unknown had also gripped him tight. But, he was hopeful that God would give him enough time to prepare Sameer for what lay ahead. However, he felt assured that love would guide him and never let him be lonely.