Chapter Forty-Two

Start from the beginning

"It's about my grandmother—and your friend—Juliette."

Mrs. Tinkle choked, spilling hot coffee over her desk.

"Damn it!" the elf yelled.

Naomi jumped up to help, pulling tissues out of a box by the desk. They weren't very efficient, especially when Mrs. Tinkle snatched them out of her hands.

"Give me that! Who told you, you could touch my desk?"

Naomi held up her hands in surrender, backing away.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you. I—"

"And who told you, you could make up lies about people? That you could pry into their business?" The receptionist went on a tirade as she sopped up what remained of the spilled coffee.

"I'm not lying. Juliette Cole was my grandmother. I'm trying to find out more about her. I know you two were friends, and—"

"You shut your mouth." Mrs. Tinkle held up a warning finger. "Stop talking right now, or I will call the dean."

"Call the dean? I only asked you a question."

At her disobedience, Mrs. Tinkle lifted the office phone to dial. Acting on instinct, Naomi grabbed it out of her hand and slammed it back down. Mrs. Tinkle looked at her in utter shock. Naomi realized she was out of her mind to be pissing her off this way, but she was desperate.

"Please, I need to know. I'm trying to find out more about my past, where I came from, and this is all I've got. You're my only shot, Mrs. Tinkle. Please don't hate me right now. I need you to tell me the truth."

For a second, Naomi saw it in her eyes.

Mercy, empathy, in Mrs. Tinkle's eyes.

As quickly as it came, it vanished.

"If you leave now, I won't report you to Dean Wellington for screwing up my desk. But don't you dare come back here spouting off that bullshit. Understood?"

Naomi's throat grew tight. She couldn't get herself to agree out loud.

There was more here.

Mrs. Tinkle wouldn't be acting so erratic and furious unless she knew something.

Something big.

Something dark.

Something that left her shaken.

But it was best to retreat. There was nothing Naomi could say to persuade her.

Not yet. Not until Naomi found out something else—something that would crack everything open. Until then...

Naomi gave Mrs. Tinkle a stiff nod and left.

***

Over the next week, the Summit Trials were put on hold in order to beef up security. In the meantime, Naomi anxiously puzzled over her suspects and remained incredibly frustrated with Malcolm. It turned out he had told Figgis and Sam about the portrait incident—but with his version of the event. One where Naomi was made out to be paranoid because Malcolm claimed he'd "accidentally" left the portrait door open. It was a flat-out lie, but she knew if she fought him on it, more trouble and arguments would arise. She'd let him get away with this one, as long as she kept a vigilant eye on everything else.

Their week of reprieve soon passed, and the Summit Trials were put back on track. The final trial was said to be a test on their foundational magic as an elf and dragon shifter. This meant the task could be anything, as long as they were required to use their magic to complete it. With that under consideration, Malcolm and Naomi broke their chilly demeanor toward one another to prepare. They both agreed it would be good to practice their defensive magic skills, and Naomi was eager to see what Malcolm's would be like.