Chapter Twelve

Several hours and an exhausting tour through the castle grounds later, two maids came to fetch Naomi and Martin for King Drewell's announcement. The maids pulled them apart and led them into separate changing rooms.

"This shouldn't take too long, miss," Naomi's maid, Gretchen, said as she circled Naomi, studying her form.

"Prince Malcolm was right. You're quite beautiful. There won't be much for me to do."

Naomi's cheeks flushed at the compliment, mainly because of who it had come from, but she didn't allow herself to get swept up in his (probably) superficial observation. She had more important things to do, like memorizing the lines she'd been assigned. While Gretchen intricately weaved Naomi's curls into an elegant up-do, she went over her speech. It was simple, a tad too reverential for her taste, but easy to remember.

"There," Gretchen said, glowing at the masterpiece she'd created. Naomi had to agree. The woman had done a magnificent job. Her thick, dark hair had been pulled up into a braided bun with decorative silver comb pins.

"Thank you. It's lovely," Naomi said.

"You're welcome. Let's move on to the dress." Gretchen rushed over to the bed and lifted the gown for Naomi's appraisal. She'd never seen a dress so beautiful. It was a rich, azure blue, with a shimmery overlay and tulle skirt; it was not only gorgeous, but it also had to cost more than Naomi's house. Hell! Her house and all her belongings combined.

"That's...it's amazing, Gretchen. But I don't think I can wear it."

Wear it? Naomi was too afraid to touch it. The sparkling fabric might fall apart if her peasant hands grazed the lining.

"Nonsense, ma'am! They chose it specifically for you. It'll fit."

"That's not the problem. It looks expensive. What if I take a misstep and tear it?"

"It's not that fragile," Gretchen replied. "And if you're not wearing it within the next ten minutes, we'll both be in trouble."

That settled it. Naomi couldn't let Gretchen be reprimanded for her insecurities. She quickly acquiesced and accepted the maid's help in putting the elaborate gown on. The back held a slew of strings to tighten the corset, but Gretchen left her some breathing room. That way, any panicked breathing Naomi did before they recorded wouldn't kill her.

With her appearance transformed, Gretchen stepped aside so Naomi could see her new look in the floor-length mirror. It was hard to believe the girl in the reflection was her. Her makeup highlighted her brown skin. The dress and up-do complemented each other perfectly. She's never looked prettier.

Naomi remembered getting dressed up for her first school dance with her mother's help. They'd done their best, but with their sparse budget, her outfit hadn't been this refined. If only her mother could see her...

"What do you think, Miss Naomi?" Gretchen asked.

"It's great, Gretchen," Naomi said, her voice thick with suppressed emotion. There was no way Naomi could have a breakdown in front of the castle maid. It wasn't in poor Gretchen's job description.

A brisk knock on the door halted their conversation. It was time for the announcement. Time to put on the grand show. Time for Naomi to pretend she wasn't doing this against her will.

Naomi rejoined her father in the hallway. He'd been given the royal beauty treatment too, outfitted in a dashing, black suit and a stylish red pocket square and tie.

"You look beautiful, Naomi," he said.

"Thanks, Papa," she replied, then whispered to him, "now let's get this over with."