Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"That's not true," Malcolm said.

Her words urged him to make the move of finally sitting on her bed. He reached for her hand, stroking it softly. The gentle contact, the kindness behind it, shocked her.

"Please don't say that. You're just as valuable. If it wasn't for you, I'd probably be dead."

The intensity behind his eyes, the heightened emotion filling the room...Naomi had to break it.

"Does this mean I get a raise?" Naomi teased. She pulled her hand out of his—under the guise of pushing back her hair.

Malcolm laughed. "Right now, I'd give you almost anything you want."

"I want us out of the competition."

"Except that." Malcolm's tone dropped, firm.

Naomi opened her mouth to protest, but the rattling curtain stopped the debate.

Nurse Alice walked up to Naomi's bed. "I need to check in with our patient if you don't mind, Prince Malcolm. Do another blood test."

"Of course." Malcolm got up and stepped out of the nurse's way.

"We'll talk later," he said to Naomi before walking off.

Leaving her with a million questions.

***

Nurse Alice eventually left Naomi on her own, and it gave her more and more time to think. Who could be after Malcolm? She had no idea as to who or why. What would happen next? Would they try again? She desperately wished Malcolm would give up his foolish desire to compete. Whatever he was trying to prove wasn't worth his life.

The dizzying hypothesizing made Naomi restless. She'd been told not to get up or strain herself, but lying here doing nothing, when Malcolm could be in danger, was incredibly frustrating. After what felt like hours of agonizing, Naomi received a distraction in the form of her Magical Ethics teacher.

"Ms. Grant. What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to check in on one of my favorite students. Especially after such a terrible accident. How are you feeling?" she asked, pulling up a chair to Naomi's bedside.

"Honestly? I'm shaken up. You heard about what caused my illness, right?"

"Unfortunately, yes," Ms. Grant responded gravely. "The teachers were informed as a precaution. They want us to keep an eye out for anything suspicious."

"I can't figure it out. Who was trying to do this, and what would they get out of it? Well, I know what they'd get. Me or Malcolm, dead."

Ms. Grant shivered. "Don't say that. The very idea..."

"It was Malcolm they were after, though. Right? There's no other reason."

"I wouldn't be too sure," Ms. Grant said.

"What do you mean?"

"I hate to say this, but you're a likely target too. You protect Prince Malcolm. They could have wanted you out of the way. Plus, there's..." Ms. Grant hesitated, but Naomi was on the edge of her seat. If her teacher could give her any leads, she'd be eternally grateful.

"What? There's what?"

"The fact that you're a dragon shifter. We both know you haven't received the friendliest welcome at this school."

Naomi sat back, resting against the pillows. It was true. There were plenty of students who hadn't exactly warmed up to her. Did they hate her enough to try to kill her? The only real prospects she could think of was Alicia—who didn't seem to have the guts—and even more ridiculously, the dean. The woman couldn't be that evil. She hated Naomi, but she was still an educator. She wouldn't hurt a student. 

Probably.

Besides, neither she nor Alicia had been at the trial.

"I'm not trying to scare you, Naomi. You seemed to want my opinion, and I had to be honest."

"No, I appreciate it." Naomi smiled to comfort her. There was no reason her professor needed to know alarms and sirens were ringing off in Naomi's head like mad.

She started to ask her more, dying to pick her teacher's brain for information, but her nurse reappeared.

"Sorry to interrupt, but it looks like you're having a busy day. You have another visitor," she said, drawing the curtain aside.

It was Quinn.

"Hi," Naomi said, feeling the urgent need to smooth down her hair and check her clothes. Do anything to make sure she didn't look like a sick mess.

"Hey. Ms. Grant." Quinn greeted them both.

"Mr. Hunter," Ms. Grant said as she stood up. "Well, Naomi, it's getting late, and I'm afraid I have some papers to grade. Get well soon."

Naomi could have sworn the woman winked at her before she left. Quinn didn't notice as he took up residence in her old seat.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like I've been swung around fifteen carnival rides," she admitted. She hoped she didn't look it, though. Quinn grimaced in sympathy.

"I'm sorry to hear that. When we saw you collapse at the trial..." He shook his head as if the recollection alone was a nightmare. "Everybody panicked."

"You too?"

"Me, especially."

Blushing, Naomi stared down at her hands and picked at her nails.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

"What do you think happened?"

Naomi hesitated, wondering if she should tell him the truth. It was clear not everyone knew about the poisoning, and she probably wasn't supposed to be spreading that information. Malcolm would hate her doing so, especially if the person she was confiding in was Quinn. But she trusted him. No matter what anyone said, she trusted him. When she looked into his eyes, earnest and kind, she knew she could.

So she did.

After she filled him in, he leaned back in his chair, stunned.

"Wow. I mean, Malcolm can be a jerk, but an attempted assassination? That's..."

"Terrifying. Mind-blowing. And bringing me into major panic mode," Naomi finished.

"Why?"

"Because I'm his guard. This never should have happened. If it happens again...well, it's on me."

"You can't think that way."

"Can't I? The king entrusted me with protecting Malcolm. With saving his life. I never thought I would have to, but now...I can't turn my back. I can't act like it doesn't matter."

With her mounting dread, Quinn moved to sit on the bed and clasped Naomi's trembling hands.

"I get that, but you can't kill yourself trying to be a hero. He has other guards. You're not alone on a life-or-death mission."

"But it is possible. This could be life or death. What do I do then, Quinn?"

"Do what you've always done," Quinn said as he placed his hands on her cheeks, cradling her face. "Be Naomi Cliffton. The fierce, kind-hearted, and beautiful girl I'm falling for."

Naomi's heart thudded in her chest at his words, at how they were leaving her breathless, until—

He leaned forward and kissed her.

While he'd taken her by surprise, Naomi chose to give into it. To feel the sensation of Quinn's lips gently touching her own in a soft caress.

It was slow. Enchanting. Perfect.

Lighting her up inside.

*** 😘 !