Chapter Thirty-Four

Começar do início

"Malcolm Greenwood," his authoritative voice boomed through the wood.

"Yes, yes, come in." Dean Wellington straightened in her chair.

The prince marched in, and Naomi wasn't sure what to feel. Back in the cafeteria with Sam, he'd defended her. But with Naomi up against his girlfriend, she had no idea whose side he would be on. Alicia's, most likely.

"Dean Wellington, I know this argument is between Alicia and Naomi, but I would like to comment on the matter."

"Prince Malcolm, while I hold you—and your father—in the highest regard, I can't let you get involved in every student squabble." The dean aimed for diplomacy.

"I understand that. Truly, I do. In this case, I hope you'll make an exception," Malcolm said, with such a sincere smile, the dean couldn't refuse him.

"All right," she said.

"Then could we have a moment alone?" Malcolm asked.

Dean Wellington gave the two girls a challenging look.

"Wait outside. If I hear the slightest raised voice between the two of you, things will become much worse. Is that clear?"

The girls relented and returned to the waiting room, several seats between them.

"You know he's here for me, don't you?" Alicia said so smugly, Naomi wanted to punch her in the face.

Mainly because it was true.

"Good for you," she said instead.

"I know you're in love with him."

"I'm so tired of your delusional accusations that I'm no longer going to dignify them with a response."

"I see the way you look at him. How you bicker with him because you're dying for a scrap of his attention. You'll never have him."

Naomi bit the inside of her cheek, determined not to break her silence. To not say a word.

"We've been promised to each other. Did you know that? Our parents have been friends for years. Malcolm and I have known each other for years. By this time next year, we'll officially be betrothed. By the year after that, happily married. There's nothing you can do to stop it."

Not a word, Naomi swore to herself. But inside, she'd bitten down on her cheek hard enough to draw blood, the metallic taste tainting her tongue. Her anger was about Alicia's arrogance, not her actual words.

Who cared if they got married?

Who cared if they stayed together forever?

Naomi didn't give a damn.

Not one bit.

She thanked the deities above when the dean's door swung back open, blocking whatever Alicia might have said next.

"Alicia, you're free to go. Naomi, come back to my office," Dean Wellington demanded.

"Thank you, Dean Wellington," Alicia simpered, and then looked expectantly at Malcolm.

"I'll see you in a bit." Malcolm denied her, and Naomi did a joyful dance on the inside as the girl's face fell.

Served her right. Although Naomi had no idea why Malcolm was staying behind. Regardless, he stepped back into the office with the dean and Naomi.

"Naomi, after speaking with Prince Malcolm, I've thought it over, and I decided on your punishment."

"But Alicia—"

Malcolm's tight squeeze on her wrist shut Naomi up. Whatever he'd done, she needed to wait this out and see.

"My initial decision was suspension, but Prince Malcolm made me reconsider. You'll be placed on work-study for the rest of the year."

"What does that mean?"

"You'll be working in the library with Mr. Baldwin. Shelving books, organizing files, helping students find research materials. That sort of thing. At the end of the program, you'll write an essay detailing everything you've learned."

Compared to suspension, work-study sounded like paradise.

"Thank you, Dean Wellington," Naomi said.

"Don't thank me. Thank Prince Malcolm." Then the dean nodded toward the door. "You're dismissed."

Escaping her office, Naomi turned to Malcolm, stunned.

"What did you say to her?"

"Doesn't matter." Malcolm shrugged. "Just don't screw this up. I can't keep asking her for favors."

"All right, but what about Sam? Is he going to tell Figgis?"

"Don't worry about Sam. I know how to handle him. This isn't the first time I've had to barter for his silence."

"Understood. Thanks anyway," Naomi said, deciding it was best not to push. Before they went their separate ways, she had the strange urge to ask...

"I see Alicia didn't get any repercussions. Is that because she's your fiancée?" She threw the word out there, testing for his reaction.

"Pretty much," Malcolm said. Both his voice and expression were unapologetic.

"Okay, then. See you," Naomi said. She kept her voice calm and even, although she suddenly felt in quite a hurry.

As she turned and walked away, she kept mulling things over. Malcolm had been sincere in his previous comment about Alicia being his future wife. Alicia's boasting wasn't just false posturing. It was a done deal like Lark had said. Yet, despite all of these affirmations, a part of Naomi still couldn't believe it.

If it was such a "done deal", why did Alicia seem so terrified of losing him? Could it be she suspected Malcolm's secret deeds? How he chatted up girls or bought them clothes? Then again, why did Malcolm do those things if he was madly in love with Alicia, as he claimed?

There was something...off about all of it.

Or maybe she just wanted there to be.

Naomi shook this thought off because it simply didn't make sense. Was she that malicious to wish them ill, for their relationship to fall apart? No, she didn't care what happened between them. She didn't care who Malcolm married. It had nothing to do with her.

Nothing at all.

*** Alicia and Dean Wellington can hate on Naomi all they want, but is Naomi starting to get kind of salty as well? Then again, why should she be?