Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

With Malcolm and Sam's argument escalating, Naomi felt obligated to intervene.

She didn't get the chance.

A vicious yank on her curly hair caused Naomi's head to nearly hit the table. She regained her balance by slamming down her hand. She tugged back at the assault only to realize Alicia was the one holding onto her locks.

"I told you to stay away from him, Scales."

"Let go of me this instant."

Alicia's response was to pull more fiercely.

Unleashing her claws, Naomi slashed at Alicia's arm. The girl dropped her hold instantly and clutched her injured limb.

"You bitch."

"You started it."

"I'll finish it too," Alicia said.

Raising her hands, she sent a torrent of water directed straight at Naomi. Unable to dodge it, Naomi ended up sailing through the air, pushed back by the force. She managed to stay upright by spreading out her wings, flying several feet above the cafeteria.

Below her, her classmates screeched with excitement or terror. The onlookers didn't faze her, not with the fight already underway. When Naomi was about to let out a burst of fire, a commanding voice filled the room.

"Naomi Cliffton, stop this second or you'll regret it. That goes for you too, Alicia Davis," Dean Wellington said, watching the two opponents like a hawk, daring them to defy her.

Naomi didn't. She flew back down to the ground, retracting her wings and landing gracefully before the dean.

"You two, with me. Right now." Dean Wellington pointed at Naomi and Alicia. She didn't wait for them to obey. She simply turned around and stalked out, knowing they would follow her.

They had no choice.

* * *

Dean Wellington studied Alicia's scratched arm with undeniable sympathy. Of course, Naomi knew why. She also knew she was doomed because of it.

"How did this altercation start? Why did Naomi attack you, Alicia?"

"Wait! You can't assume I'm the one who started it. She—"

"I'll hear one side at a time. Thank you very much, Naomi."

"Well, Dean Wellington," Alicia began, a laborious tone in her voice. As if the girl was worn out from the trauma.

The damn liar.

"I merely suggested to Naomi that she behave more respectfully toward Malcolm. She's quite argumentative with him, in case you didn't know. When I did, she got extremely angry and then savagely did this." Alicia held up her arm meekly.

Naomi's jaw dropped incredulously. They had to be kidding. There was no way the dean could buy that. But she was! Simply because she loathed Naomi.

"Do I get a say now?" Naomi crossed her arms, steeling herself for combat.

"Yes, you do," the dean said, but there was no denying the perfunctory trace in her expression.

"Fine. Alicia instigated the incident when she pulled my hair. When she insulted me for supposedly wanting her boyfriend. For tossing me halfway across the room, using her magic. She did her best to provoke me because of her insecurities. Unfortunately, I have to admit I gave in and fought back but I'm not the only one at fault here. The implication that I am is highly offensive," Naomi objected.

Dean Wellington opened her mouth to respond, but a loud knock at the door interrupted her.

"Who is it?" she snapped.