"Do you feel better?" he whispered to her.

"Much," Naomi said, basking in the crowd's glorious reaction. So far today, she had one failed test and another unmistakable victory.

***

Later that day, Naomi's mood soured again when Sam accosted her. He was waiting for her the second she came out of her Defensive Magic class.

"Cliffton, I need your help," he said the second he saw her.

"Why should I help you with anything, Mr. There-is-a-hole-in-her-shirt?" Naomi said, because honestly, she hadn't fully gotten over Sam's last insult.

"Girl, you know I'm only playing with you. You're my favorite coworker," he said, petting her head gently. She shrugged him off roughly in return.

"Figgis is your favorite coworker. Now, what do you want from me?"

"Speaking of that gentleman, he was called away to the castle."

"Why?"

"The poor sack got picked for tribunal service," Sam said with a wicked grin.

No doubt the man enjoyed the idea of Figgis stuck in a courtroom all day, having to decide on a judicial case. Naomi, on the other hand, felt sorry for him. Many citizens got chosen to sit in for tribunal service and decide on legal cases that were always tedious and boring.

"The problem is I need you to take his place," Sam went on. "Malcolm and Alicia plan to spend their break period in the courtyard, and I need a second man on hand."

"For the rest of the day?"

"No, Figgis will be back in a bit, but for now, I need your help with them."

Sam cocked his head, gesturing in their direction. Glancing over, Naomi did indeed see Malcolm and Alicia impatiently waiting a foot away.

"This is supposed to be my break time too. So no thanks. I'll see you next period." Naomi attempted to walk away—to no avail as Sam tugged on her arm childishly.

"Don't make me go alone." Sam's voice reached a pitiful whine, unlike his usually masculine tone. "They get...cozy. And whisper sweet nothings, and I can't do it if I can't trade gagging facial expressions with Figgis."

"I've never seen them that handsy before..."

And she didn't wish to.

"Well of course not, when they're in class. And you mostly miss it during meal times. But during break periods. God, the seemingly never-ending, sickening break periods. You can't leave me alone with them," Sam insisted.

"Fine! If you're going to act like a child about it."

Naomi braced herself for the scene Sam had created in her mind.

It was worse than she had pictured.

After her agreement, the four of them headed toward the courtyard. Malcolm and Alicia sat on their preferred bench and instantly started fawning all over each other. Standing a few paces away, Naomi did her best to simultaneously not stare at their public display while also keeping an eye on them.

It proved impossible. No matter how strategic her peripheral vision, she caught a glimpse of Alicia sticking her tongue down Malcolm's throat.

"You're right. This is hideous. I have to step away for a bit before I gag for real," Naomi said to Sam, starting to walk off.

"What? No way are you leaving, Agent." Sam blocked her path.

"I'm only going like five feet." Naomi pointed to the strella magnolia tree that had become her spot.