"Hello, Naomi. I'm Captain Figgis. Sam and I are the lead guards for the day shift, while Prince Malcolm attends Legacy. You'll be joining our team. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Captain Figgis held out his left hand for her to shake. A hand that was missing both its thumb and index finger. Despite trying to cover it up, the surprise on Naomi's face must have shone through, because Captain Figgis winked at her.

"Don't worry. I'm actually right-handed."

Flustered, Naomi returned his smile. She figured it was the least she could do for being obvious.

"Nice to meet you, Captain Figgis." She shook his hand.

"Figgis is fine, miss."

After their brief introduction, Sam started up the car, and silence reigned. Naomi could sense Malcolm staring at her, but she ignored him. This game went on for several excruciating miles before Malcolm abruptly flipped a switch that brought a glass divider up between them and the front seat. This way, Sam and Figgis wouldn't be able to hear them. Although, it wasn't from a lack of trying, as Sam threw them furtive glances.

"We should talk," Malcolm said, his voice firm as he faced Naomi.

"You think so?" She continued to avoid his gaze.

"Naomi, look. I know you're upset that I lied to you, but if you only knew...being a prince isn't as much fun as people imagine. Sometimes I like to get away and feel like a normal person."

"Oh, you poor baby," Naomi scoffed.

Inwardly, she was shocked she had the nerve to address him this way. Yet truthfully, she needed this. She needed to vent and rage, and let him know how he'd changed everything with his stupid impulse.

"Your selfish desire for freedom and anonymity has ruined my life. You think I want this?" Naomi waved at them and their surroundings. "Because of you, I was forced to reveal myself, to put my own life and identity in danger for the sake of yours. And now your father wants to keep me under his thumb so badly he's joined us at the hip."

"And you think I want another babysitter? That I want a girl as resentful as you following me around, day in and day out?"

"Don't you dare act as if you can sum me up like that. Like I don't have a right to be angry. Being your guard, going to this school—don't you understand you've ripped me away from my everyday existence? That you and your father are taking me away from MY father, taking away my own choices? Or are you too wrapped up in your ivory castle mindset that you can't see anyone else?"

At this point, Naomi stopped for a multitude of reasons. One, because she'd surely gone too far; two, because she was nearly out of breath; and three, because she was on the verge of breaking down. She wouldn't let the prince see her fall apart. She turned away, not caring about his reaction to her confession.

"Naomi, I..."

The car jolted to a stop, interrupting Malcolm. Sam knocked on the divider loudly.

"Yes, Sam?" Malcolm asked, a hint of exasperation in his tone.

"We're here," the guard replied in a singsong voice.

As she peered out the window, Naomi's mouth dropped at the magnificent building before her. She'd seen images of the edifice before, but in person, it was even more stunning. It was almost as large as the castle. The steeples on the roof seemed similar to grand churches, giving the structure a holy air. Perfect, shiny windows looked down on them, hinting at the glamorous decor within. While it was only a few miles away from the main city, it felt like a majestic land of its own. Even the air smelled fresher.