Chapter 25 - The Soul Buyer

Start from the beginning

"Your soul has its own value. The higher the value, the more the demon wants it" Draco continued with the explanation. "Like the souls of the believers. Those are among the most valuable. The stronger one prays and loves God, the higher his value in demons eyes"

I huffed in annoyance.

"Which demon wants to buy my soul then?!" I began to get mad. "I don't even believe in God! My soul has no value for sure!"

"We don't know that yet, Lisa" Nick placed his hand on my lap, giving me soft pats there. "You can try offering it first"

Draco nodded when he approved what the other man in the room just said. "What kind of person you are will attract the same kind of demon too, detective"

"But, how to know if the demon is interested in buying?"

"He will show its presence here" Draco took a deep breath. "Demonic energy will always cause electrical interference like lights flickering, electronic system failures, things like that"

My brain was hit by the memory of what happened to the CCTV footage at my apartment, guessing if those were the signs of the demonic force that chained my girlfriend inside. But who would have the right answer? Even technicians couldn't explain what was the cause of the strong and sudden interference.

"Alright, is there anything else I need to know?" I pushed my hair behind the ear. "Can we start now?"

"There's one thing, Lisa" He cleared his throat. "As you can see, I don't light up these candles" The man spoke and my eyes went straight to the things he put in the tray. "If these candles ever lighted up, that means the demon wants to buy your soul"

I nodded, feeling how fast my heart was thumping at the moment.

"And when he wants to buy, there's no turning back for you. Do you understand?"

"Why not?"

"Because no one would want to piss a demon off, Lisa" He pressed his voice, getting more serious on that part. "I don't want any trouble with a demon tonight, chasing him back to where he comes from wouldn't be easy if he's mad"

I rolled my eyes.

"What a cunt. Why can't demons be as easy as guys at bars or pubs?" I gave out my critics when I just knew that these stuffs would turn out to be complicated.

"Because they are not just guys, Lisa" Nick was the one who answered me as he grabbed my hand. "Are you ready?"

I blew a heavy breath out in response to that question. I didn't even know what I was doing in this room, sitting around a circle with candles in front of me. I wasn't sure about what I was intended to do, or if demons were all real.

Someone like me would never be ready for things I had no knowledge about, let alone believing them.

But I nodded anyway since I just wanted to get it done.

"Detective Baxter, I need you to turn around" Draco commanded as his voice lowered. "Whatever you heard, don't ever, ever, look back" My eyes were on Nick when he hummed to the other guy. "Because I will only sell Lisa's soul tonight, we don't want the demon to get attracted to yours"

Letting go of my hand, Baxter did what he was told, facing away from the candles.

"Good luck, Isaac" He gave me an assuring smile that I replied with chuckles.

"Good luck to all of us" I said back, looking away from him to give my full attention to the ritual.

Draco took out a pocket knife, alerting the self defence force in me as soon as I sensed danger. But he handed the knife to me, gesturing for it to be taken.