Chapter 5

Brooke’s P.O.V

I tread silently on the pavement, making sure I don’t alert anyone of my presence. I pull my black hoodie further over my face, so if anyone does happen to see me, they won’t recognise me.

Moving as discreetly as possible, I turn the corner. The school at this time of hour was scarily eerie and quiet. The half-moon loomed above me, casting shadows around the courtyard. The reddish orange bricks of the school were dark and the trees in the courtyard looked surprisingly different in the moonlight compared to when they are in the sunlight.

I was currently at the edge of the courtyard, under the protection of the shadows a tree was casting. I look behind me, making sure I wasn’t being followed. I crouch down onto my knees, making my body blend into the darkness surrounding me.

No one can know I’m here.

No one.

My mind suddenly wanders to what happened earlier in the day. The little slimeball, Rhana, somehow managed to beat me in that stupid race. Subconsciously, I clench my fists and a deep frown furrows my brow.

I’m going to get that freak back, I think angrily, biting my lip until I taste blood.

As fast and as stealthily as a cat, my legs move in a blur of motion as I sprint across the courtyard. I feel extremely exposed as I run across, no refuge of shadows keeping my identity hidden.

The wind whips across my face, and my mind reminisces to the race.

The bang of the gun.

Me in the lead.

Everything was going so well, I almost made that little git have to leave the school.

Then everything took a turn for the worst.

Rhana somehow managed to overtake me.

Even though I almost caught up to her towards the end, she still beat me. That little swine. I grit my teeth in frustration as a cringe at what happened.

Now I owe her my Mac.

But, I’m not actually going to give it to her. Never was, never will.

But still, how on earth did she manage to beat me? I never get beaten, especially in a sprint.

Especially not with the “help” I’ve been getting.  Unless… she’s been getting help from the same people. No… that can’t be right. Suddenly, I remember when after the race, her eyes were glowing a greenish amber. I swear no one’s eyes have ever looked that… bright.

Amazingly, I don’t think anyone else saw her eyes, but I’m sure I wasn’t hallucinating. My mind then strays to when Mike stood up for that jerk. She even has my future boyfriend wrapped around her finger.

Argh.

My stomach drops as I remember when Mike accidentally knocked me down onto the ground. It was an accident, wasn’t it? But still, it was probably the most embarrassing moment in my life.

I bite my lip in anger as I remember.

It’s all her fault, I think stubbornly.

Rhana, that little bastard.

Eventually after my short sprint across the courtyard, I arrive at the brick wall. Most people would be panting at this point, but I was fine, breathing just like normal. Suddenly, I hear a noise. A noise that seems to come from above me.

A door closing.

I drop to a crouch, and slowly make my way to the shadow the school’s one willow tree was casting. I keep completely still under the tree’s shadow and, without moving my head, I move my eyes, looking for the source of the sound.