Chapter 4

Attached photo is of Mike :)

=========================================

“Could all of the participants for the A-Grade girls 600m sprint please come to the running track. Event starting in 10 minutes.” The loud speaker booms.

Great. This was it.

I look over to Felix who was still waiting in line for the 15 & under boy’s javelin. He looks over to me and mouths a worried “Don’t stuff this up.”

I just nod to him, the butterflies that I have been trying to ignore for the past two hours starting to kick in again.

The weather was sunny for once. There were barely any clouds to be seen, just little specks here and there. It was such a nice day.

Too bad it didn’t suit my mood.

I see Alyse leaving the 15 & under girl’s javelin line with Rin Munyro, they were walking in the direction of the running track. I quickly jog up to them and start walking alongside them, when they see me they look shocked.

“Um, Rhana, what are you doing? We aren’t going to the toilet or anything, we’re going to the sprints.” Alyse asks.

“Funny that. So am I.” I say, giving her a half-hearted smile.

At that remark, both of their eyes bulge out.

You? You, Rhana Killard, the girl who is good at drawing, good at piano, and who is most definitely not good at running, no offence, is going to the A-grade girls 600m sprint??” Rin gapes, her mouth hanging open.

I nod my head, confirming what she had just said.

“Uhh… May I ask why?” Rin asks.

I sigh.

“Brooke made me do a bet with her.”

Yeah, she ‘made’ you, not like you agreed to it or anything, I think, still annoyed by my own actions, even though they didn’t really feel like my own.

What?! On what terms??” Alyse butts in.

I really wish she hadn’t asked that…

“Well, um, if I win, I get her MacBook.” I say, trying to avoid the next part.

“And if you lose?” Alyse asks again.

I should’ve known better than to try and hide something from Alyse.

“And if I lose, I have to leave Monibridge.” I sigh.

“You what?!” They both exclaim in unison.

“Why would you agree to something like that, Rhana??” Rin gasps, still carrying on as she hops over the fence surrounding the running track, followed by Alyse.

I shrug my shoulders, hopping over the fence myself.

Alyse starts “Oh my god, Rhana. You’re gonna need some sort of a miracle to get out of this mess. Maybe if Ri-“

“No!” I harshly react. Not again! I must have some sort of brain damage.

The girls stare at me. Then I notice that further away, Brooke is too.

You can do this. You know you can. Stop doubting yourself you retard, a part of my mind says.

“I, uh. Sorry… I didn’t mean to say that.” I murmur to them as we reach the administrators of the track.

“Right…” Rin says.

“Okay girls, ready for the race?” The administrators say to us cheerfully as they guide us over to the start.