Chapter 5: Test and Tease

I wanted to ask him why he felt the need to hit me with a tennis ball back in seventh year but before I knew it, the first question already came out off my mouth.

"Do you always keep chocolates inside your pocket?"

Great. What a deep, earth shattering question. He probably thought I was some kind of a bimbo.

But in my defense, I was curious ever since I saw him pulled a Nutella jar out of his pocket, so sue me!

Hunter, to his credit, looked like he was really considering my question.

"Hmmm... Not really." He muttered. "Sometimes I bring sweets. You know, candies, licorices, and other awesome stuff."

"Why?" I asked.

"Why not?" He asked back.

Never mind, then. I didn't want to have an argument with him, especially now that we were right in the middle of nowhere and where-are-we-exactly?

I decided to just accept the Hershey bar he was offering.

"It's not poisoned, is it?" I asked.

He just gave me a "just-eat-it-or-you'll-be-dead" stare.

I unwrapped the chocolate and started munching on it.

"Tell me three things about yourself." Hunter demanded, giving me an eager look as if he was really interested.

I thought about it for a while. I didn't want to sound boring but I also didn't want to reveal much about myself to him. I still didn't trust the guy and he still scared me a bit.

"Uhm, I'm quite boring, really. I'm a book blogger, I review books and post it in my blog during my spare time. I want to take up Journalism in college and study in NYU, and I also play the violin." I said, telling him true but insignificant things about me.

I saw him nodding his head, as if he was memorizing everything I just told him.

"How about you?" I dared ask.

His face stretched into an adorable smile.

"Food is my drug. I'm the only non-artistic member in our family of artists. Hell, I can't even draw a decent stickman to save my life. And lastly, I fucking hate spiders." He said, cringing when he came to the spider part.

I smiled inwardly. That was one thing we had in common. I also hated spiders.

"So tell me, why are you avoiding me like I'm the antichrist when you're the one who ruined my shirt?"

I almost choke on the Hershey bar.

"You noticed that?" I said, wishing the ground would open and just swallow me whole.

God, that was embarrassing.

"Well if you wanted to be inconspicuous, you shouldn't have worn a hoodie when it was 90 degrees outside."

Totally not my smartest idea. Talk about dumb tactics.

"I easily get cold. It has nothing to do with you." I lied.

Unruly ash-blonde hair fell over his forehead as he tilted his head.

"Is that your way of telling me to give you a hug right now?"

I shot him an annoyed look. One corner of his lips curved higher, as if he was secretly laughing and it did wonders to his already perfect face. For a second, I didn't mind him doing exactly what he just suggested.