When this is all over, no matter who is standing and who is buried, it is Dustin who will lose.

    Amidst waiting for my answer, Dustin turned his face into my hair and breathed deeply before whispering against my ear in a voice that could soothe raging seas, "Have faith in me, Dimples." He pressed his lips against my head, holding me there for a long time before the softest of breaths sifted like silk through my hair, "I will not let that monster ruin your smile, Sadie."

    Harrowing images darted behind my closed eyes, of Dustin and I standing in the Reapers dungeon, so very far from prying eyes where only he and I bore witness to his pledge; his undying vow to protect my smile, my innocence.

    Death may have changed Dustin in incomprehensible ways, but it could not change that.

    He was patient but encouraging, "Do you believe me?"

    "Of course I do." I replied immediately. My arms tightened around him, pulling him closer, for his stability and my own, "I just don't want history to repeat itself."

    He understood what I truly meant, agonizingly clear, "You think I am going to get myself killed again, don't you?"

    I tread so carefully because neither of us were ready for this conversation, "I think you will do anything to keep the Count from hurting the people you love. And the last time you protected us, we lost you. If that were to happen again," I was shaking, we both felt it, "There might not be anything left for us to save."

    Dustin backed away, "What happened with Rosen was decided in the heat of the moment, as a last resort. It was the only way to keep you all safe and to take care of Rosen once and for all."

    I followed after him quickly to keep from upsetting him, "I know, and I understand. But I just want you to understand, too. I want you to realize that we want to protect you just as much as you want to protect us. And this time," I poked his chest, hard, "Dying is not an option."

    His hands folded around mine, "For either of us, right?"

    I nodded in certainty, "Right."

    Corinth was talking as her and Brandon reentered the small room, arms full of bottles they had collected from the room where we first found Erie upon arriving, "All I'm saying is that we need to get back home, as soon as possible."

    Her back was to Brandon when he asked, "Still worried about Eli?"

    "Well, yeah, of course. But that's not why we need to hurry." Her eyes flickered towards me and in them, I saw fear. Not for herself, or her cousin. Not even for Eli. The fear present in her stare was meant only for me, "We have other priorities, now."

    "We will leave first thing in the morning." Brandon mumbled, entirely unaware of the true meaning behind his sister's words. He returned to his project and mixed two contrasting liquids into a single empty bottle, "For now, we should all find a vacant room and get some sleep until the medical team arrives. God knows we could all use the rest. Once we are treated and Erie is stable enough to travel, we will leave."

    I looked up at Dustin, "You know Lumiere won't let her leave in her condition."

    Dustin's shoulders dropped as if to sigh though no air was exhaled, "Maybe they can both stay here, it would be safer."

    "Nice try, but Lumiere also won't let you leave without him."

    "As stubborn as a goat, that one." Dustin informed with a laugh, "But we can figure out the logistics of our travel after we get some sleep." He started us towards the door, calling out over his shoulder, "Will you two be civil while we're gone?"