« Chapter Thirty One - Goodbye »

It's been a couple weeks since the dinner at the Weasleys and as the days continued to pass, Thorn continued to grow and gain more control over his fire, with my help of course.

With that being said I finally started my work as Head of the dragonettes and incubation centre. I would take Thorn with me because he loved playing with the other juveniles while I inspected all the eggs that were ready to hatch any day now.

"I think it's time Thorn joins the Weyr," I announced abruptly at dinner with the Dragonologists one night, staring at the bull sized dragon.

"Are you sure he's ready?" Kal questioned.

"I have complete and utter faith that he's ready, I just don't know if I am," they had told me the first ever one you raise up is the worst to let go.

Charlie had raised Norberta because of him being head of the Norwegian Ridgeback Weyr and he's still attached to her hip.

"I'm proud of you, love," Charlie smiled sadly, slinging his arm around my shoulders, giving me a comforting squeeze as I lent into his embrace, resting my head on his shoulder as I continued to gaze at the reptilian.

"You'll look after him, wont you?" I questioned, finally looking away from Thorn and towards Morgan who would be in charge of him once he joined the Hebridean Black Weyr.

"Of course I will," he grinned and I nodded.

I guess I'm really doing this.

• • •

Today is the day. When I woke up I didn't even want to get out of bed, I had took a couple of extra days to totally make sure Thorn was ready to join the Weyr but I knew I was only holding off on the inevitable. I had to do it, for Thorn, I couldn't keep him away from where he belonged, that would be selfish of me, even though I just wanted him to be with me forever.

I knew I could visit him sometimes but that could be hard with taking care of the other babies and the eggs plus gaining permission from the leader of the Hebridean Black Weyr.

"Come on Thorn!" I called as I finished lacing up my boots, ambling towards the steps that lead down to The Valley where I had told Charlie and Morgan to meet me.

Thorn danced around me like an over grown puppy as we walked and once he saw Morgan he pounced on him immediately.

"Hey big guy," Morgan grinned as Charlie took his spot at my side.

"Morning, love," he kissed my forehead and I smiled,

"Well let's get this over with so I don't start sobbing," I stated and they nodded, beginning our trek towards Hebridean territory.

As we approached a low growl traveled through the air, making us freeze in our spot as the magnificent beast came into our view.

He had dark rough scales, ridges along its back, and a tail tipped with an arrow-shaped spike. His brilliant purple eyes glistened in the sunlight as it's vibrant greet Bat-like wings stood out and he was at least thirty foot long.

He was easily recognised as the leader of the Weyr, Ronan, scars littering his body evidence of that especially the one that traveled from his forehead, through his eye and to his jaw which made the vibrant purple iris slightly white, making me assume the old wound had blinded the eye.

We stayed silent as I glanced back at Thorn and nodded my head in Ronan's direction. I could see his hesitance but he eventually moved towards him once I flashed him a reassuring smile.

My eyes began to fill with tears and part of me wanted the leader to reject him so he could live with me forever but after a few moments of the dragons interacting, the leader let out a gurgle like sound, accepting Thorn as his own.

A dry sob ripped its way out of my throat and Thorn's head snapped in my direction, just as he was about to come back I shook my head with a teary eyed smile.

"Go on," I ushered and after a few more reassuring words he followed Ronan, glancing back at me one last time before disappearing into the wooded land.

"I miss him already, why am I so emotional," I sniffed, clutching on to Charlie.

"Are you on your period, love?" He questioned to which I nodded.

"Then that's why, let's go get you some cake," he smiled softly as he began to lead me away.

"Chocolate cake?" I sniffed, looking up at him with hopeful eyes.

"Whatever you want, love,"

I can't believe I got so lucky to have someone like him. Through all the tough times, I had him. Never in a million years did I think I'd meet someone as perfect for me as him.

And to think, it all began with...

Dragons