« Chapter Twenty Six - It Can't Be? »

I lay motionless, staring at the ceiling with a blank look. I felt numb. I blamed myself, why hadn't I been there. I was so selfish, going off and leaving them all behind. What if someone else I love gets hurt and if I was there I could have prevented it, my head was spinning.

"Hey, I brought you tea," Charlie spoke as he entered my room, setting the warm beverage on the beside table and sitting beside me so his back was against the headboard. I didn't speak in fear of breaking down again I simply wrapped my arms around Charlie's waist, nuzzling my head into his stomach.

"Thank you," I whispered shakily after composing myself. We sat in silence for a while, him running his fingers soothingly through my hair and my eyelids grew heavy and I finally gave in after fighting to stay awake, my consciousness disappearing as I was swallowed by the void.

I was in a circular shaped garden closed off by flowered bushes that stood around fifteen to twenty feet tall. In the centre a delicate water feature lay, each drop flowing from it, sparkling in the sun. Emerging from the bushes came doe and deer and many other creatures. My body moved to sit under a willow tree, the trunk shaped so perfectly it was as if it were artificially grown. The peace and tranquility of the atmosphere gave me a false sense of security as my dream became a nightmare within a snap of your fingers.

Thunder echoed as the sky turned dark. The bright flash of lightning blinded me momentarily and as I regained my sight dread filled me. The water from the fountain turned blood red and the greenery withered. The woodland creatures seemed to mutate and became terrifying monsters but the worst thing of all. The familiar faces of my best friends circled me.

"You left me. I'm dead all because you were selfish enough to run away to Romania and abandon me, abandon us all," Cedric spoke to me but his voice was muffled and deeper than usual. Guilt and regret was beginning to suffocate me.

"I- I didn't mean-," my shaky attempt at apologising was cut off as the twins began it speak.

"We're your best friends, your brothers, how could you leave us. Are you going to let us die too!?"

"I'm sorry- I- Cedric's death wasn't my-,"

"YOU LEFT ME. NOW IM DEAD. YOU ABANDONED ME. IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT. I HATE YOU. YOU'RE THE REASON I'M GONE,"

I shot up, beads of sweat dripping down my forehead as I gasped for breath. I glanced beside me and found Charlie sleeping peacefully. I wiped my eyes to clean away the tears I didn't know had escaped and lent back into Charlie's arms, his slow steady breaths calming me slightly as I began to contemplate my nightmare.

Gone. Gone. Gone. The word kept repeating in my head like a broken record and then it suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks. He was actually gone. I would never be able to listen to his long talks about Quidditch or hear him constantly ramble about Cho. He's gone and I wasn't even there for him. I'm sorry Ced, I'm so so sorry.

A couple of days have gone by, my condition has improved though my guilt has not. I was taking a walk through the reserve when I heard shouting. The voices sounded familiar but not the good kind. I headed towards the source but I regretted it instantly.

"MADISON!? There you are! Come on you are coming back with us right this minute you silly little girl, you thought you could just run away to Romania and ditch all of your responsibilities?! I don't think so!" A cold and cruel voice sneered and my entire body froze up in fear

"N-no it can't be," not her- please no

I-it's....