« Chapter Twenty Nine - First Fire »

Adolescence is a tough stage so when Thorn started to go through growth spurts I began to get emotional. I knew as soon as he could control his fire he'd have to go and join the herd.

I knew I could still see him when he leaves but that didn't make it any less difficult.

"What's got you down, love?" Charlie questioned as he entered the room, wrapping his arms around my waist, resting his chin in my shoulder, placing a soft kiss on my cheek.

I smiled, hugging his hands over my stomach, blushing.

"Thorn," I muttered, watching from the window as he jumped about with Rontu and Thomas, the other dragon trainers sitting behind them on a blanket.

"It'll be fine, love,"

"But he's my baby, I don't want him to leave me," I frowned, pulling out of his embrace.

"If you're going to miss being a dragon mama just remember after he leaves you're going to be the Dragonette Carer, there'll be plenty more, or I can always help you become a real mum," he smirked and I gasped, whacking him around the back of the head but couldn't help but laugh.

"We both know your mum would murder you about having children before marriage," I joked which only make his smirk grow.

"Consider it done, love," I chuckled, rolling my eyes affectionately.

"You're impossible, Weasley,"

"You love it," I hummed in agreement, grabbing the tray of homemade treats off of the kitchen counter and exiting the cabin.

"Who wants cookies!" I shouted happily, everyone's head snapping in my direction.

"COOKIES!" Thomas exclaimed, sprinting over, looking at me innocently, grinning.

I shifted the tray so it was held in one hand, passing Thomas a kids plate filled with his favourite treats, winking as he ran off to sit beside his dad.

"I'm stealing that kid one day, he's too cute," I sighed and Charlie looked at me with a weird look.

"What?" I questioned defensively. "Don't look at me like that, you threatened to kidnap me the first time I came here,"

"Fair enough, love," he chuckled as we joined the others on the blanket.

"Delicious as always, Maddie," Nick grinned, holding up a brownie and cheers-Ing Andrew.

"Only the best for my favourite boys," I grinned as Charlie lay his head on my lap, munching on a cookie. My hands immediately went to play with his hair, completely forgetting we had yet to tell everyone else.

"Did something happen we don't know about?" Morgan questioned, looking at us with a raised brow and me and Charlie shared a confused look. It took a moment but our eyes widened simultaneously, Charlie shooting up from my lap.

"We didn't tell them!"

"Well it did only happen two days ago,"

"Finally!" Thomas shouted as he practically tackled me in a hug.

"You finally worked up the courage, huh mate," Marcus laughed, playfully punching Charlie's shoulder.

"Bout time, I was getting tired of Charlie staring at you like a love sick puppy," Kal chortled and I grinned, a light blush coating my cheeks.

A choking like sound sounded behind us and as soon as I realised it was Thorn I jumped into action, running over to him. Smoke flared out of his nostrils and once I realised what was happening it was too late.

A blast of fire shot out of Thorn's mouth, narrowly missing me and almost singeing my eyebrow off.

There was a silence for a moment after the fire disappeared, Thorn coughing out a bit of soot.

"Your first fire.... YOU BREATHED YOUR FIRST BIT OF FIRE!" I shouted happily, picking him up and holding him up like Simba.

The Dragonologists shouted cheers of encouragement and whoops and whistles came from the twins.

I love my new family, dysfunctional or not.

• • •

"Love!" A voice shouted, making me loose my place in my book.

"What!?" I exclaimed as Charlie rushed through the door with a grin on his face.

"You need to see this!" He exclaimed and Thorn looked at me confused from his place cuddle up in front of the fire as I was dragged away.

In the middle of a clearing was quite a large female Norwegian Ridgeback, she was beautiful and still looked quite young around three or four maybe and more importantly curled up with Rontu.

"I think someone has gotten himself a girlfriend,"

"What's her name?" I questioned, allowing Charlie to lace our fingers together.

"She's called Norberta,"

"The one Hagrid Hatched?" I questioned and he nodded.

"Well considering you're the Norwegian Ridgeback trainer I'll assume she's been brought up well and isn't going to lead him down the wrong path," I joked and he chuckled, bumping our shoulders together.

"How noble of you," he smirked as we headed back to our cabin just in time as an owl landed on the porch.

We glanced at each other before turning back to the owl. The letter was addressed to Charlie and he opened it with furrowed brows. He read over it, his face changing from confused to full blown ecstatic. He handed me the letter and I took it hesitantly.

Charlie,

We haven't heard from you in too long, mum's having a family dinner tomorrow and if you and Maddie aren't there don't be surprised if she shows up in Romania and drags you home by the ear, Madison included.

Sincerely,
Ginny

"I guess now we don't have to worry about what we're doing on our day off," I chuckled, looking up at the grinning ginger.

"Merlin, I love you," he sighed, wrapping his arms around my waist, his head on my shoulder.

"I love you more,"