"I expect a new pair of shoes." Zephyrine added, eyeing Mabel keenly. "Mine are covered in who knows what."

Mabel didn't even have the strength to roll her eyes, and only released an insulted huff. "Yeah, as if. You could have turned 'serpent' if you'd really wanted to protect your fashion; I'm not buying a pair of heels that cost more than my car."

"It's not my fault your car isn't worth as much as my shoes. Get a more expensive car next time." Zephyrine retorted snippily, leaning her head back against the door.

"That is enough," Aleron cut across, rocking Madoc back and forth in his arms slowly, the careful movement a sharp contrast to his growl. "I want everyone to leave. Now."

There were grumbles of protest, but the trio filed out of the room quickly nonetheless (Aleron had a talent for getting rid of people).

As soon as the door was closed, Aleron shifted and settled next to where he'd placed Mabel on the couch. Handing her Madoc, but keeping a hand on their son's stomach, Aleron bent forward and placed a flurry of soft kisses along her brow. "My brave Little One," he mumbled, pulling back and using his free hand to tuck her hair behind her ear. "You are so strong."

Mabel smiled tiredly, cuddling little Madoc to her chest. "With you, Al. Only with you. But I will confess that this was not easy, and I am extremely sore."

Aleron scowled at that. "I will ask Packer to assist Thora in making another healing potion."

"Oh, Al," she laughed, shaking her head at his usual antics. "You are so sweet."

He smirked crookedly. "Only with you." He tossed her words back at her, pulling another set of giggles from her exhausted body.

"And it had better stay that way," Mabel commanded, feigning sternness and earning a chuckle from her guardian. They settled into silence after that, soaking in the beauty of the moment and the love that connected their small family.

"Mabel?"

She hummed, peering at her demonic husband through half-lidded eyes.

Aleron's lips shifted into an emotional smile, and, had she been more energetic, she would have sat up at the sight of tears shining in his eyes. "Thank you, Little One," he breathed, his swirling gaze shifting from her to their little boy and back again. "Thank you."

"Oh, Al," she raised a weak hand, and he caught it in his and pressed it to his lips, dusting kisses across her knuckles. "I love you."

He blew out a shaky breath. "And you are my soul, my Mabel. Always."

Mabel wasn't sure what to expect next, but—whatever it was—she'd be okay. With Aleron and their newest addition, there was nothing else she could really ask for.

Well, she could ask for one thing: the ability to explain to Kellan and Lucy that she'd had birth without them present and not be murdered by said women.

Oh, God help me.

***

"What the hell is this?" Lucy practically spat, gesturing wildly at where Mabel stood outside of Lucy's apartment, a sheepish smile on her face and a week-old baby in her arms. "I swear to God, Mabel, if you went and delivered my godchild without my presence, I will be seriously ticked off."

Mabel cleared her throat awkwardly, bouncing her sleeping child lightly. "Uh, well, no . . .?"

With a shrill gasp of offense, Lucy yanked Mabel inside and threw her (somewhat gently) down on the couch. With her hands on her hips, standing over Mabel like an upset parent, Lucy looked less than pleased. "How dare you?! I get a call from Packer saying you went to visit Aleron and went into labor, and then Pack tells me I can't come because it's some kind of shit-hole, secret base? I'm damn pissed!"

The Struggles of Marrying a Demon {Completed}On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara