Chapter 20 - The Dark Fog

Start from the beginning

It was like they didn't want him to get better in investigating. They didn't give him chances to grow, to learn, to gain, and I wasn't fancy of any kind of discrimination whatsoever.

Everyone deserved the same opportunity, the same trust.

I wouldn't deny that he was a little slow in critical thinking skills, he tend to only notice obvious things on the surface and I bet he was aware of it too since he just admitted about it in the restaurant earlier. That got me thinking of who in the team had insulted the word 'slow' to him until he said it to himself back. Because never in these years of me being his friend I ever heard him saying about it.

Today was the first time.

Even I, Detective Lisa Isaac, who would always choose Detective Nick Baxter to assist me in homicide cases at any time, never said to him about how slow he was.

That made other detectives in the MIT lost their rights to criticise him. They never really worked closely with Nick before and that was how I found their opinions about him irrelevant.

"Lisa?" His voice called for me when I only fed him my silence.

"Yeah?"

"Can I?"

I laughed a little as I turned my head to look at him. I was sure that my eyes weren't as sharp as earlier since he had a smile on him when our eyes met.

"What do you want from me, Baxter?" I joked around. "Why are you so obsessed with me?"

"I don't know," He looked away. "Maybe because you are pretty"

I stopped my walk straight away. This time it was because of the surprise I just heard from his mouth.

Nick turned his body around when I was no longer walking beside him, which took a few seconds for him to notice it.

Looking at me, he grinned. "That was awkward, right?"

I burst out laughing, giving him a playful push as I walked behind him when his naivety was so obvious. Nick would just answer any question that was given to him without thinking first and that was what made it hard for him to project lies.

"You still haven't answered me" He giggled.

"What is it, Nick?"

I acted like I didn't know what he was talking about, restraining the laughter that still wanted to come out.

"I want to do this with you," He said. "Can I?"

"Only if you quit that thing" I pointed at the cigarette he hid at the other side of his body with my mouth.

"Oh come on!" He exclaimed. "You sound like my mum"

"Well, you didn't listen to your mum" I teased him. "Who knows, you might listen to someone pretty?"

"Isaac!"

▪️▪️▪️

Nick's fingers were ready at the keyboard as we were ready to watch the CCTV footage of my apartment taken on 27 September 2018 from 7:38p.m. timestamp.

I never seen the actual footage. I only saw the screenshots of it as shown in the form of printed images when I was being interrogated by Hopkins.

So after reading the post morthem results of Chae Richards, I decided to come back to my apartment buiding, to the security guards room to be exact. This is the only way for me to see the footage without the need to go to the police station and ask for evidence assessment.