* chapter 4

Dabi's POV

Why was my father such an asshole? Ever since my little brother Shoto was born, he ignored us other kids. He didn't even bother urging us to improve our quirks. He didn't care anymore. He now had what he always wanted, a half hot and half cold baby he would make the greatest hero out of, who would surpass even All Might. Well, at least that's what he wanted.

To be honest, when I look at Shoto I don't think he will be something that special. He surely didn't look like anything special. Yeah, I loved him like a little brother. I wanted to protect him from our father. He really didn't have to go through the same as us other kids, or how our dad sometimes called us: "Little Disappointments". Like it was our fault.

Shoto was barely able to stand by now. He wasn't even one year old yet, but my old man already had high expectations. He wanted Shoto to walk, talk and learn to control his quirk perfectly. I couldn't look at this any longer. He was pushing the small child forward, trying to get him to walk. But Shoto fell and started crying. Again and again.

My mother was sitting next to my father, and as she reached out to help Shoto stand up, my dad just stopped her. He lifted the boy to his feet and pushed him again, getting the same result. As Shoto fell for what I counted to be the sixth time, I brought some pillows in.

"At least don't make him hurt himself.", I said coldly.

I dropped the pillow in front of Shoto and he purposely fell onto them, giggling cutely. I smiled to myself and began walking away, but my father grabbed my arm.

"Aren't you supposed to be practicing instead of ruining your brother's training? It doesn't look like youve mastered your quirk yet."

He grabbed my sleeves and looked at my arms, who were still covered in burn marks. They just wouldn't go away no matter what I did or how long I let them heal.

"I am practicing", I hissed and yanked my arm away from him and put my sleeve down. "I just need a break now."

"There's no time for breaks. Show me what you've got. Now."

I looked at my mother, but she had learned by now to not disobey my father. She didn't want him to get angry at her now, too. And I could understand her very well.

I sighed and inhaled deeply before putting my whole body on fire. At first it was only comfortingly warm. Then it started to get hotter and hotter. Soon I started to feel that familiar pain agian. My whole body hurt, but I tried to ignore it. If I stopped he would just make me do it again. I opened my eyes a small bit and saw him looking at me unsatisfied. I closed them again and tried to keep going for just a bit longer. I felt like I was about to die now. I was starting to get out of breath.

And as usually, the pain became unbearable at some point. Panting heavily, I put the bright blue flames out and sank to the floor.

He just looked at me with that detested look.

"You should practice more."

"It's not about the practice. The doctors already told you, some of my skin is made for cold temperatures. I have body parts of someone who is supposed to have an ice quirk."

Again, I looked at my mother. But she wasn't even looking at me. She had a guilty expression on her face like it was her fault. She probably actually thought so. My father kept telling her that over and over again.

My old man ignored what I had just said and turned his back to me, facing Shoto and my mother again.

"Go do something with that gross face of yours."

I touched my jaw, cheeks and neck with my hands. Sure enough, I could feel my skin feeling weird once again. It was rougher I'd say. New burn marks were appearing, just as always when I used my quirk for too long. Some parts of my body couldn't last warm temperatures. It was really weird, I even got sunburns faster on those places.