* chapter 1

"And what's your name?"

He smiled a toothy grin at me. I think I could have stared at that smile forever. It was one of those rare ones that make you want to smile back. So that's what I did.

"Right now I go by Hawks."

-

That was the first time I saw him. It's been, what, 7 years now since I've seen him for the last time? Time sure seems to fly. Im 23 today. The last time we had seen each other and talked had been on my fifteenth birthday.

My father had completely forgotten and didn't even bother to look at me during breakfast. Just as always.

It had been nothing unusual in my family, as we children (except for Shoto who was just what my father had wanted) and our quirks were a big disappointment to my old man.

My siblings had congratulated me and we had roasted some marshmallows in my room after breakfast. I would have done so many things differently if only I'd known it was the last time I was spending time with them like that.

You see, my family is a bit complicated. My dad didn't love my mother and sometimes even hurt her, what made her pretty paranoid and quiet. She smiled rarely and barely left the house. All our neighbors thought we were strange.

So now you think, why did he marry that woman and had four goddamn children with her if he didn't even love her? He married her because of her quirk. His quirk was fire an hers was ice, so wouldn't it be just amazing to have children and experiment a bit until they had a child that inherited both of our quirks?

In my opinion, that wasn't amazing at all. But oh well. My dad had a different opinion.

His first three children he'd had were huge failures. Like for example my older sister. She was barely one year older than me and had been my parents' first try to get the child with the perfect quirk. But her quirk was far from perfect. I won't tell you what it is, partly because I can't remember.

Then there was me. My quirk isn't bad, I'll have to admit I'm pretty powerful. But it just wasn't what my father wanted. My quirk is blue flame. I can do anything he can, just that my fire is blue, meaning it's hotter than his. However, me and my quirk didn't get the appreciation I deserved.

And my first younger brother didn'ty have the required quirk either.

And then he appeared. My youngest brother. Let alone his hair was a perfect match of my mother and fathers. One half was red and the other was white. And so was his quirk. One hand had ice powers, the other had fire. I guess I was a small bit jealous back then. But I can reassure you, now I'm not jealous at all. My poor little brother must have been under so much pressure.

-

"Your crimson hair is so cool. I just have ash blonde hair, it's nothing special at all." He sighed and leant back against the tree we were sitting under.

"You really think my crimson hair is cool? I think your crimson wings are way better. Your quirk really is amazing. I mean, you can fly. You can be free." I smiled softly at him an d leaned back against the big cherry blossom tree as well.

He smiled at me and hummed, thinking.

"I guess you're right. But I don't think it's that special. You can make blue fire. My quirk is just always there. I had to learn to fly and that's it. There isn't more about it. And you can make new things with your quirk. You can set your whole body on fire, hide your quirk or just casually hold it in one hand. If I ever become a hero, villains will know instantly what my quirk is." He hugged his knees and I could see him gaze back at his red wings.